You are here

Coldplay not touring to save planet

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Coldplay not touring to save planet

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:28 pm

ef37a wrote:'Arp' was it the loss of the wife or the CAR that broke you up?!!

Dave.

I'd already lost the wife, but the car was the last straw!

:shock:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:20 pm

Pardon my French, but such f*** arrogance to think we are some kind of stewards of this planet and that our activities can protect it. The earth has survived much worse than humankind. The only thing we can do maybe is slowdown our race’s demise on this globe.

A solar powered concert that uses no plastic? Either a good marketing person is in place or they are all dimwits.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Agharta » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:39 pm

Is this the plot for another sequel to Independence Day?
Aliens have heard a press demo of the new Coldplay album and threaten to blow up the planet if they tour.
Better hope they don't catch Eurovision on catchup or we are all royally screwed, not just the underage girls.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:43 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Pardon my French, but such f*** arrogance to think we are some kind of stewards of this planet and that our activities can protect it. The earth has survived much worse than humankind. The only thing we can do maybe is slowdown our race’s demise on this globe.

A solar powered concert that uses no plastic? Either a good marketing person is in place or they are all dimwits.

Just watched a great video about a guy in Texas living off-grid, he was very happy, and gave a demonstration of his hand pans, very inspiring, and there was no electricity involved, and I'm actually quite happy these days sitting on my porch listening to our bass wind chimes, the amount of enjoyment I get from that in terms of bang for buck is enormous compared with my studio, certainly no less, it makes you wonder.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:56 pm

CS70 wrote:
ef37a wrote:Great idea!
Since most people see bands on a huge screen and through a monster PA what does it matter if it originates 3,000 miles away, or indeed is live?

Guess it's a bit like vinyl. It's not really the musical content, but the whole experience. That's what people pay for, these days - the feel of being able to say and remember "I've been there" (ok, with other 10000 ones but... :) )

Yes, yes, I get the whole 'experience' thing. I am just saying these are the sort of luxuries people are just going to have to do without.
The politicians either have no idea or are scared witless to tell us plebs just HOW much we need to stop doing.

(Oh and BTW. Don't like vinyl. Very polluting compared to data.)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:16 pm

ef37a wrote:The politicians either have no idea or are scared witless to tell us plebs just HOW much we need to stop doing.

Dave.

Agreed, but when they do, you get a Brexit, or a Trump :(

I also know that there are far more pressing concerns that touring acts - and at this stage is no longer an issue of stopping doing something to prevent a crisis, but to do something actively to reverse it. The runaway effect, unchecked, is unavoidable now no matter what we stop doing. Luckily more and more politicians are understanding this - with a few noticeable exceptions alas.

That said, don't get me wrong - I have no quarrel with anything that makes people understand the enormity of the situation. So even if it's only a symbolic gesture, it's a good thing.

Agree also on vinyl. But it is what it is regardless.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Mixedup » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:20 am

N i g e l wrote:I thought some of the journalists at the press conference were quite harsh on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x75EsCYCXLU

So was the Rochdale Herald :bouncy:
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:50 am

I suspect that if countries simply charged the rates of tax on air fuel as they do on land and shipping fuel then the true economics of touring would be revealed to be unpalatable and a more modest approach would emerge.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:53 pm

Funny that. If the price of flying was based on the costs involved few of us could afford to fly. And the price of those much needed chocolate truffles flown from Switzerland to Canada (sarcasm font on) might be too expensive to contemplate.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:15 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Funny that. If the price of flying was based on the costs involved few of us could afford to fly. And the price of those much needed chocolate truffles flown from Switzerland to Canada (sarcasm font on) might be too expensive to contemplate.

What do you mean? Many airlines are private businesses, and the cost involved in flying are definitely accounted for?
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:28 pm

I’ve been told that, except for a very few airlines, that government subsidies and other perks like exclusive routes are part of running an airline. I haven’t done much research into this I admit. In North America I’ve seen a fair share of smaller airlines appear and disappear over the years.
I assumed the larger airlines with subsidies and protected routes just have to price match the lower fare airlines until they go belly up. Or their profitable routes are covering the costs of the money losers. What have you heard?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:07 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I’ve been told that, except for a very few airlines, that government subsidies and other perks like exclusive routes are part of running an airline. I haven’t done much research into this I admit. In North America I’ve seen a fair share of smaller airlines appear and disappear over the years.
I assumed the larger airlines with subsidies and protected routes just have to price match the lower fare airlines until they go belly up. Or their profitable routes are covering the costs of the money losers. What have you heard?

Yeah there are some airlines with subsidies - typically national carriers, many of which in Europe. SAS and Alitalia are two prime examples, which have been kept artificially alive over years with taxpayers money. But insofar I know most don't.. that's why many go bust - being subject to the vagaries of weather, geopolitical situations, oil prices and of course political decisions.

Certainly like in any business costs will be aggregated at some level, but in well managed airlines unprofitable routes wouldn't survive long..
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:51 pm

and just to tie it in to the original post - the challenge here in Canada is small population spread over a very large country. So long flights or longer drives which doesn’t help the environment. I can’t imagine how expensive it is to tour Canada now. Touring was much more doable in Europe with distances not so vast.
I used to be based in Toronto and touring for us back in the day meant flying if the drive was more than a day. Montreal and Quebec City were the only places we drove to, being only 6 hours away. The flights were relatively cheap as was flying the instruments, but we only played the major cities as we couldn’t afford to play smaller towns.
Doing it now with solar power and no plastic being harmed? Not in today’s world. :D
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby IAA » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:48 am

I was looking at the UK manifestos on climate change actions, it’s certainly big news, maybe we are at a tipping point..
Maybe Coldplay should just have used EasyJet https://www.easyjet.com/en/sustainability
IAA
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:13 am

CS70 wrote:
ef37a wrote:The politicians either have no idea or are scared witless to tell us plebs just HOW much we need to stop doing.

Dave.

Agreed, but when they do, you get a Brexit, or a Trump :(

I also know that there are far more pressing concerns that touring acts - and at this stage is no longer an issue of stopping doing something to prevent a crisis, but to do something actively to reverse it. The runaway effect, unchecked, is unavoidable now no matter what we stop doing. Luckily more and more politicians are understanding this - with a few noticeable exceptions alas.

That said, don't get me wrong - I have no quarrel with anything that makes people understand the enormity of the situation. So even if it's only a symbolic gesture, it's a good thing.

Agree also on vinyl. But it is what it is regardless.

Will people please stop calling records "vinyl" they are "records" not vinyl.

:D :D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:06 pm

Didn’t you get the email?
Records - if you have fewer than 3 tattoos and the only piercings are in your ears, beard optional.
Vinyl - if there are piercings and tattoos in places we don’t want to see, well groomed facial hair and possibly avacado toast crumbs in said facial hair.
:crazy:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:38 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :lol:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:15 pm

Arpangel wrote:Will people please stop calling records "vinyl" they are "records" not vinyl.

:D :D

No they won't

..checking for avocado toast crumbs.. :D
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:31 am

CS70 wrote:..checking for avocado toast crumbs.. :D

I used to have their John Peel Sessions on vinyl, I mean I had the record. ;)
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:07 pm

I still have a few LPs collecting dust :smirk:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous