You are here

Producer Credit

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Producer Credit

Postby Dan741 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:19 pm

Hi there,

I've been working on an archival release; as part of this project I believe that I've done everything that is generally associated with the "Producer" credit (organised digitisation, compiled the tracks, conferred with the mastering engineer/designer about artistic choices, organised the linear notes).

The owner of the label (who I'm licensing the material to) has asked if they can share Producer credit. They have undertaken duties that I would expect fall under basic duties of the label (paying for manufacturing, hiring the mastering engineer/designer, making only a few suggestions about my artistic choices -- most of which I argued against).

I'm wondering if I should contest this, or if it's better just to keep them happy and share the credit?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dan741

Re: Producer Credit

Postby blinddrew » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:12 pm

I guess you need to make a simple gain vs loss assessment. Do you want / need to work with label again? How much do you lose by the co-credit? Pride and principle don't pay the rent! ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Producer Credit

Postby James Perrett » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:18 pm

One label that I've done some work for would label your job as a 'consultant' while others would just say 'compiled by'. A producer is normally involved in the original recording.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page