You are here

Using an artist's name as part of a band name?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Using an artist's name as part of a band name?

Postby uncleswede » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Hi,

Odd question...

We're putting together a band to book and play shows celebrating the music of a well known, living artist who, for argument's sake, I will call Fred Bloggs.

It's not going to be a 'tribute' band, as such (i.e. we're not planning to look like "Mr. Bloggs", just sound like him), and so, as a more descriptive name, we're considering naming the band :

"The Fred Bloggs Project"

My question is, have any of you ever incorporated the name of an established artist into a band name and did you fall foul of any legal or other negative consequences?

I should add that we have huge respect for "Mr. Bloggs" and his work and certainly would not want to upset him in any way, hence the enquiry...

Cheers
uncleswede
New here

Re: Using an artist's name as part of a band name?

Postby Chet Leeway » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:54 pm

You should probably just ask the artist in question. Olivia Neutron-John recently changed her name after getting a cease and desist from guess who.
Chet Leeway
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:52 pm

I suspect with this particular scenario "The Fred Bloggs Project" will probably be taken as a compliment, but as Chet suggests, contacting the artist sounds like the best approach.

Where I take exception is when people put a twist on a very well known name to gain added publicity, even when that name is nothing to do with music - Com Truise, I'm thinking of you ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby CS70 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:12 pm

Most definitely, ask the artist's opinion. It's probably going to be ok as if you play his songs he'll get PRO royalties and it's free marketing for him, but in the end it's his name, and some could not take it very well..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page