You are here

Question about selling beats

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Question about selling beats

Postby Kinh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:40 am

When you sell your beats independently or at Beatstars, how does the license work?
I mean, is it a 1 license only sale? Meaning, once the beat is sold to someone it cant be used by any other person, only that buyer.
Also is it normal to sell as commercial or non-commercial, does the seller take a royalty on top of the sale of the beat itself or does he just sell as a one off payment? By normal I mean the most common licensing terms for example, between rap artists & producers.
Kinh
Regular

Re: Question about selling beats

Postby blinddrew » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:12 pm

You'll just need to go through the licence detail on the site, line by line and make sure you understand what's being sold and bought. There's really no short cut on this, you just have to do the homework I'm afraid.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Ma-Music » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:14 am

You can sell beats exclusively (once it's sold its gone) or non-exclusively (you can sell it to multiple people). With sites like beatstars, you can customize your licenses to list out whatever rights you want. But they provide a default template so that you don't have to actually write out terms. You basically just fill out a form and it auto-populates the contracts. It's pretty easy. I have been doing it for the last year.

Most commonly, both the producer and licensee will split royalties according to the contract. But based off experience it's really tough to track down people and actually get credit on a track to collect royalties. In addition, most artists that are buying your beats are super small and so the royalties would be a few pennies. So it's best to go in with the mindset that your money will come from beat sales, not royalties.
Ma-Music
New here

Postby Kinh » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:00 pm

Ma-Music wrote:You can sell beats exclusively (once it's sold its gone) or non-exclusively (you can sell it to multiple people). With sites like beatstars, you can customize your licenses to list out whatever rights you want. But they provide a default template so that you don't have to actually write out terms. You basically just fill out a form and it auto-populates the contracts. It's pretty easy. I have been doing it for the last year.

Most commonly, both the producer and licensee will split royalties according to the contract. But based off experience it's really tough to track down people and actually get credit on a track to collect royalties. In addition, most artists that are buying your beats are super small and so the royalties would be a few pennies. So it's best to go in with the mindset that your money will come from beat sales, not royalties.
So the producer splits royalties as well as charging for the sale of the beat?
Kinh
Regular