You are here

Reclaiming PRS foreign tax withheld

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Reclaiming PRS foreign tax withheld

Postby Congas » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:08 pm

Hello :)

I'm a UK-based library music composer and receive regular performance royalties via PRS.

A good portion of these royalties result from overseas usage and the PRS pays them to me after it has withheld foreign tax for them.

In past years I have successfully offset this against any tax I owed in my annual return (using the foreign income section). However, more recently, my total personal income has fallen below the UK threshold for paying tax (which is £12,500). As a result I'm unsure about how to reclaim the foreign tax already paid (specifically £700 for 2016/17 and £400 for 2017/18) .

I would dearly like this money back! Any ideas on how to do that?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Congas

Re: Reclaiming PRS foreign tax withheld

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:05 pm

Wouldn't you just submit a normal tax return anyway?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Reclaiming PRS foreign tax withheld

Postby Congas » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:31 am

Thanks Hugh

Yes I intend to file a tax return this year. The return seems to allow me to claim relief for the withheld foreign tax only if I actually owe some other UK tax to offset it against (which I don't) .

So my question should really have been: "How do I specify this on my tax return so that it generates a refund?" I can't seem to find any info whatsoever about it.
Congas