You are here

Do you need to copyright your music?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Do you need to copyright your music?

Postby rockydennis » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:57 am

jbehrmusic wrote:Hi All. Just thought I'd share some information for Christmas. Hope you're having a great holiday!

https://youtu.be/SqYkE7wVJnk

My biggest issue with this is that with the link to Songtrust that you provide on your site, you are getting a referral fee with it. You are posting here, with the specific goal of making money off of the readers here - something that you do not explain anywhere.

See info about the referral system here:
https://help.songtrust.com/knowledge/is-there-a-referral-code-i-can-give-to-friends-who-want-to-sign-up-with-songtrust
rockydennis

Postby jbehrmusic » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:27 am

rockydennis wrote:My biggest issue with this is that with the link to Songtrust that you provide on your site, you are getting a referral fee with it. You are posting here, with the specific goal of making money off of the readers here - something that you do not explain anywhere.

I actually spent a lot of time compiling data and researching this topic, in order to bring some awareness and information to people about copyright. Obviously my video is geared more toward US copyright law/rules, but my goal was to spread awareness. I have 50 or so subscribers on my channel, and the copyright video is probably the least viewed video I have uploaded. The discount code is there for people to use, but I was never expecting to make a hefty (or any) profit off this video.

Most of my videos are 'How To' videos, or tutorials, trying to spread awareness and help others out there. This was the first video I even left a discount code for, which is not even that easy to find. You have to first click my jbehrmusic.com link, then open the dropbox document, in which the discount code is embedded into the document toward the bottom. I would have seen your point, if it was the first link I put at the top of the video description, but I think I hid it pretty well. Also consider, how many people open a document and read through it after watching a YouTube video?

I have posted multiple times on this forum, recently about an eGPU's benefits to your DAW and OBS. Link found here: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=70088
jbehrmusic
Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:39 am

jbehrmusic wrote:
This was the first video I even left a discount code for, which is not even that easy to find. You have to first click my jbehrmusic.com link, then open the dropbox document, in which the discount code is embedded into the document toward the bottom. I would have seen your point, if it was the first link I put at the top of the video description, but I think I hid it pretty well.

Well . . . you see, you're not supposed to hide these things - you're supposed to disclose that sort of thing upfront.

Otherwise people might think you're some kind of opportunist, scraping third-hand information off the web and packaging it up so as to benefit or promote yourself in some way.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby 10K-DB Music » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:37 am

Yes,,and also tag all your mp3's or whatever you upload to web w/ metadata,,its kindof like a digital signature when it hits the web
10K-DB Music
Poster
 Registered BMI writer. Live//Studio  performer.  Vocals//Bass/Guitars

Previous