You are here

If no label, then what?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

If no label, then what?

Postby Hexo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:30 am

Hi there,

I came across this tip:
51. Don’t waste your time with labels, you’ll only be disappointed
in this article:
https://www.edmprod.com/100-essential-tips/
It's an awesome article so far, but I can't figure out what this 51 guy tries to imply. I thought artists have to attract labels to cooperate and help them get their songs heard til now. But if not that, what else do you think the statement above suggests? I have no bread cramps to follow.

Any Ideas would be highly appreciated.
Ahmad.
Hexo
Regular
There are a million keys to perfection and they are buried in a million different graves.

Re: If no label, then what?

Postby blinddrew » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:03 pm

I think for some genres labels are becoming increasingly irrelevant. Sales are by download, marketing is via key music blogs, connections come from the local scene, mixing and mastering can be much more basic and all done in the box...
What value does a label add in this environment?
This begs two questions:
1) is this an accurate reflection of your genre?
2) do you have, or can you find, the skills to do these jobs yourself?
If the answer to either of these is "no" then you might need a label/publisher/agent etc.

If, on the other hand, you want to break into the mainstream charts, you will need a label because no-one else has the marketing budget.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:51 pm

Hexo wrote:Hi there,

I came across this tip:
in this article:
https://www.edmprod.com/100-essential-tips/
It's an awesome article so far, but I can't figure out what this 51 guy tries to imply. I thought artists have to attract labels to cooperate and help them get their songs heard til now. But if not that, what else do you think the statement above suggests? I have no bread cramps to follow.

Any Ideas would be highly appreciated.
Ahmad.

I take exception with 36! :protest: :bouncy:

Jokes apart, take it with a grain of salt. If you want commercial results, you need an audience and to create that audience you need to expose your music. It used to be that labels where one of the best tools for that. Now they're one among many, and often they don't really have much more power than you do in generating exposure. Labels tended to know more than artists about music production, marketing and ways to expose music. Nowadays, all their past knowledge is a google away and six months-a year of trying stuff out and understanding.

It can still be valuable if the label has a well oiled networking and marketing machine that allows you to dedicate yourself to creating rather than these more menial jobs, if it has established following, or lowers cost of marketing (or even take it on).. but let's face it, the vast majority of labels do not.

So your mileage may vary.. but in most cases, the article is right and what you pay for a label (as money percentage in case of success. rights etc) is often wasted money or even additional unnecessary cost.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:13 pm

It's worth considering that 90% something is more than 100% of nowt. Put another way, if you can double your sales by giving away less than 50% you are still a net winner.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hexo » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:52 am

Very nice tips. Thank you all very much. Do you guys want to give me a kick-off point if I want to go with the no label option? I know you can say google but I'm thinking maybe you could give me some initial speed!
Hexo
Regular
There are a million keys to perfection and they are buried in a million different graves.

Postby blinddrew » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:23 am

That's going to completely depend on the genre i'm afraid. And EDM is not a field i'm familiar with.
Start with the places and people that you would go to to find new music and recommendations.
But remember the points on that list about building relationships first. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Ken P » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:03 am

There are 3 questions that I would recommend you put to yourself.

1. What can the Record Label do for you that you can't do for youself?

2. If you think there is something the Label can do for you (that you can't do for yourself), how much are you prepared to give the label from the earnings that the label generates from your music?

3. If 1 and 2 apply, are you prepared to commit to the labels' conditions for your future productions - all the time that 'future' falls within the terms of the label's term?
Ken P
Regular

Postby Frank Rideau » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:26 am

Going through the different tips given on this page, it's clear this article is targeting not only EDM producers but more specifically beginners. There is a whole bunch of difference if we are about to debate the relevancy of looking for a label for a beginner, whatever the genre he is doing, or in the case of a more mature artist that needs help for production and marketing in terms on time and money.

That doesn't mean the concept of label is not challenged nowadays but when you read:

25. Your music sucks at the moment, and it will probably suck 6 months from now. Keep pushing through
29. Mastering? Forget about it.
41. Copy other artists. You aren’t big enough to get sued (yet?)
44. Playing an instrument of any kind is beneficial
etc...

And then

It kind of make sense it that context, isn't ?....
Frank Rideau
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/orgasmo-sonore Revisiting Obscure Film Music