You are here

Distribution Service?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Distribution Service?

Postby Stickman0_3 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:42 pm

May I just point out that distribution is NOT promotion. Distribution just puts your product out there, on the shelf. I also do all promotion myself as well as I am studio based and do not gig.
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:57 pm

hasser964 wrote:Repost network is also pretty good, but they take 15% cut of your streaming royalties. They also offer some cool asf artwork options when you upload to Soundcloud.
Do Repost have a minimum qualifying criteria? I looked at Soundcloud Pro for distribution but it was only after signing up that I discovered about the minimum monthly plays required to qualify for the distribution part of the package. Naturally I cancelled that but I see that they've now taken over Repost, I've asked the question via their support page but haven't received an answer.
Cheers
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Pod Pod » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:07 am

CD Baby customer service is the WORST!

I've been emailing and calling them to correct a mistake THEY made on the release of my album for last 6 months!! CD Baby have attached my music to another artist with a similar name and have NOT bothered to correct this mistake. They look into and tell you they'll correct the mistake as soon as possible and say expect it to take 4-6weeks. So you wait and nothing happens, then you repeat the whole process of contacting them again.
Pod Pod

Postby Stickman0_3 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:45 am

Hi Pod Pod

Are you in the PRS? Did you registered your tracks with the PRS BEFORE releasing them? If yes, then you would have been assigned a CAE number and all your tracks would be registered to that number. This happened to me once, in the end, I figured that if all my tracks are registered in my name and PRS number on the PRS website, then I don't need to do anything?

Maybe someone correct me if I'm wrong on this?
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby CS70 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:34 pm

Pod Pod wrote:CD Baby customer service is the WORST!

I've been emailing and calling them to correct a mistake THEY made on the release of my album for last 6 months!! CD Baby have attached my music to another artist with a similar name and have NOT bothered to correct this mistake. They look into and tell you they'll correct the mistake as soon as possible and say expect it to take 4-6weeks. So you wait and nothing happens, then you repeat the whole process of contacting them again.

Is that on Spotify? Or? Usually these errors have nothing to do with the aggregator, but they depend on the service. Remember that it is an industrialized process. Only in the last couple years Spotify at al. have implemented an "artist id" and that way you can make sure your tracks will end up in the right place. The aggregator (CDBaby) will tell the streaming service when asked to, but the actual correction time will depend on the service. And service have been very slow to do much which requires manual handling.

CDBaby support has been much slower lately, but I have received replies, only took some ten days instead of the day after.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby hasser964 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:41 am

blinddrew wrote:
hasser964 wrote:Repost network is also pretty good, but they take 15% cut of your streaming royalties. They also offer some cool asf artwork options when you upload to Soundcloud.
Do Repost have a minimum qualifying criteria? I looked at Soundcloud Pro for distribution but it was only after signing up that I discovered about the minimum monthly plays required to qualify for the distribution part of the package. Naturally I cancelled that but I see that they've now taken over Repost, I've asked the question via their support page but haven't received an answer.
Cheers

No there's no minimum anymore. You just have to purchase Soundcloud Pro, which is £7.50/month for me.

Personally I think it's worth it for everything you get with it & it's not too much.month.
hasser964
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:25 pm

Thanks for the update. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby PrinceFreddie » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:23 pm

Hey everyone! I’m Prince Freddie and I’m here on the site because I started the book “Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio” by Mike Senior. I’m a Music Producer from Pennsylvania and I am attending the LA Film School for my Associates of Science in Music Production. I’m here to learn and to have fun doing what I love! As for the topic I’m recently researched a few distributors but I’m leaning toward distrokid.
PrinceFreddie

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:08 am

created by the people internally that worked for Tunecore, but wanted more power - distrokid.

I wish I could do physical mediums but they are too expensive,.
People stand behind and support physical world more than digital.
Might consider doing a limited pressing of a small number of real and digital.

I've used Tunecore, Catapult Distribution, Rebeat, Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Acidplanet, Pure Volume, Level Music, Myspace Music, burned CDs,.

To get my music on Beatport would be cool but I'm not a well known or established person in the industry and they require that being a label to do that not a person. I'm a person.

I've never used CD Baby as suggested. If you are wiling to pay the upfront cost, little known Rebeat can be very cool, and legitimate. You will get paid by them. They do work for you to make sure no one steals your music. I got paid by Tunecore, Catapult, and Rebeat but never bandcamp. I've used Bandcamp for years and have never received a penny.

I'll go back to Rebeat once I get my money inline and all my stuff in order.

Postby blakedirksen » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:26 pm

I have used distrokid for the last several years and really like it. I like the simplicity of the payment model and website. $20 bucks a year is nothing and the flat fee is easy to manage. For the cost of a round of beer my band gets to have our music on nearly every service in the world. It is absolutely amazing when you think about it!

Real money via streaming is TOUGH and it isn't the distributors job to get you more streams. For example, Bob Mould is one of my favorite artists and my favorite track from his LP from a few months ago has 50k streams on Spotify for a total of $172 in royalties, before paying agents, producers, labels, studios, artists, etc.

I don't say this to discourage you, just don't set high financial expectations based on simply dropping tracks on Spotify or Apple Music.

Keep with it and keep posting. I'd like to hear your stuff so shoot me a message with the link.
blakedirksen
New here

Previous