You are here

Need Advice with New Studio Monitors

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Need Advice with New Studio Monitors

Postby ramibb » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:58 am

Hi,

hope it's the right place for this

I sold my Dynaudio BM6's to get a bigger monitors since my room is too big for them
I use monitors for playing music (no studio) and really loved the Dynaudio.
Music: 70% classics, rest blues, metal.

I am about to buy the BM15A's but was wondering would it be better to get smaller monitors
and include 2 sub's with them

2x Presonus Temblor T10 sub's with Dynaudio Lyd7/Lyd8 or similar.
any other recommendations are welcome, I am not an experts and have experience with Dynaudio which I really like their sound
Budget, no more than 2400 euro's and wont to have the best value for money :)

Thanks in Advanced
ramibb

Re: Need Advice with New Studio Monitors

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:05 pm

Hmmm....

Pros and cons!

A large full range speaker will have a properly integrated sound, and Dynaudio are pretty good at that.

However, if you have room mode problems (and who doesn't?), the forced positioning of full range speakers (to optimise the stereo image) can place the bass drivers in awkward places for the bass nodes...

Splitting the bass away by using one or more subwoofers means the bass drivers can be placed optimally in the room without compromising the stereo imaging of the smaller satellite speakers.

So that's the bonus of subwoofers...

The downside is that you have to match the sub into the satellites, which is non trivial, setting and optimising the levels, cross-over frequency, filter slopes, and delay/phase timing.

And, if the sub generates a lot of harmonic distortion (and most low-cost ones do) that will sit all across the mid-range of the satellite speakers, degrading the overall sound quality of the whole system.

Decisions, decisions...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound