You are here

A little tip for reducing Soundcloud spam

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

A little tip for reducing Soundcloud spam

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:00 am

As I'm sure others have noticed, an annoyance of Soundcloud is the little wave of spam that appears immediately after posting a new track. It's been getting under my skin and although you can report the bot/spam accounts (which seems to work quite well) it's a pain having to monitor your feed for a while to prune the junk.

I've just noticed that if you make a track private as you upload it, leave it for a hour or two and then promote it to public status, this seems to mitigate the problem quite well. For the first time in ages I've pushed a new track up using that method and had no spam responses at all in the last 2-3 hours.

I'm guessing (it's really just a guess) that this makes the posted track less obviously 'new' on their API so if you're half as frustrated as I am by Soundcloud spam then it might be worth trying that.

The downside might be a reduction in awareness of your track by followers. I don't know, but in my case it's not something I really care about (I disable public play counts as I think they are irrelevant, people either play your track or don't and I'd rather have a smaller number of quality followers than a large group of randoms) so if you're someone who does it might be worth conducting an experiment with a 'here's a rough demo' test track to find out.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Re: A little tip for reducing Soundcloud spam

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:54 am

That's a useful approach Eddy - I'll bear it in mind.

Thankfully I don't get too much in the way of spam replies when I post on Soundcloud, and they tend to be fairly obvious, either by their avatar or total lack of any posted contents on their own Soundcloud accounts.

Martin
Martin Walker

Re: A little tip for reducing Soundcloud spam

Postby The Elf » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:56 am

For iCloud users the email 'Rules' are a wonderful thing...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.