You are here

Why you're not getting paid Streaming royalties you earned

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Why you're not getting paid Streaming royalties you earned

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:55 pm

This very sobering 23-minute video by Jeff Price, founder of TuneCore, Audiam et al provides an enlightening though alarming overview of why you may not have received all your royalties from Spotify and other services.

If you believe your music has value, you owe it to yourself to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2HROI7KpPM

Note: it's from a US market perspective.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Re: Why you're not getting paid Streaming royalties you earned

Postby Watchmaker » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:18 pm

He should pay someone to transcribe that. I hate videos unless there's a car chase and scantily clad yet still highly respectable young women involved, like Scarlett Johansson or Kristen Stewart. Sorry, this dude bored me silly.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:32 pm

Depressing! But eye opening...

It's apparently a system cynically designed to create money from thin air on the backs of musicians before anyone really notices...

On a more positive note, it's impressive -- but upsetting at the same time -- that he can extract $60k of unpaid royalty fees with a few hours work in identifying played tracks correctly from the database!

He should write an article for SOS.... ;)

As a matter of policy I don't use any streaming systems for this (and other) reasons... I know most of the money that changes hands when I buy a CD doesn't make it back to the musician either, but much more of it does than if I were to stream the tracks instead! hence my CD collection still grows with two or three every month.

Buying a download from the musician's own website may be the only way forward...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:39 pm

Makes me glad I've never had enough plays to worry about royalties. :mrgreen:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:05 pm

20,000 plays of one of my tracks, and I got 15 quid...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:07 pm

The Elf wrote:20,000 plays of one of my tracks, and I got 15 quid...
And it cost you £60 in electricity to keep playing it on repeat. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:39 pm

It was worse than that. I had to pay for the Alexa speaker, the parrot and a week of training it to ask for my song to be played! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:56 pm

Yeah... but you paid the parrot peanuts, right? :bouncy:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby CS70 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:18 pm

Forum Admin wrote:This very sobering 23-minute video by Jeff Price, founder of TuneCore, Audiam et al provides an enlightening though alarming overview of why you may not have received all your royalties from Spotify and other services.

If you believe your music has value, you owe it to yourself to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2HROI7KpPM

Note: it's from a US market perspective.

Thank you, very interesting.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:34 pm

Interesting and very apt at the moment as one of the things I'm working on is helping someone sort out their publishing receipts from these online services. It looks like Elf is on a better deal from Spotify than the people that I'm dealing with.

NB - we're specifically talking songwriting royalties here which are far lower than the rates that the recording artist receives.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Petros_K » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:15 pm

Thanks for posting the video on Youtube, although the video is now 5 years old. Jeff Price certainly seems to know what he's talking about. But I'm a songwriter, not a business person, and the issues he's talking about are making me reluctant to put my music out there, even if I cover my bases.

I was also thinking that if songwriters are posting versions of their songs on Youtube, and I believe you are granting them a compulsory license of your work when you do so, they make it clear in their terms of service that it's a royalty-free license, which means you're not getting paid even though they're streaming your song.
Petros_K

Postby blinddrew » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:08 am

Yep, youtube changed the way they pay content creators a while ago. You need a minimum number of subscribers to your channel before they pay anything out, it's no longer based simply on the number of plays.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby RichEnigma » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:06 pm

He is mostly talking about compulsory licenses.

So for those who are solo musicians or artists, or for bands with original music, this won't quite apply like he is talking about, and will be rather confusing.

It is also at some grammy thing and he is mostly talking about large songs with large songwriters who get covered a lot.

This is also not a new problem or a problem exclusive to streaming services or digital.

I have seen reports where major label artists/writers around the early Napster days had multiple millions just sitting in an account somewhere and they still haven't claimed it, and it is just sitting in an account.

So not every one of these companies is taking that money as cash and spending it, maybe none are, but all who are sitting on it will still have to show that ledger line on their books and on their tax returns, and this is often where it has some help when seeking debt or investment.

The notice of intent he is talking about is specific to compulsory licenses and doesn't apply to every single song released.

So if you recorded an original song in your basement or garage and you released it yourself then they do not have to send you a notice.

They also didn't really raise $100 million off of people's songs, they raise money for the patents and technology and plan and people and whatever they have built up to that point, and they negotiate licenses to utilize the sound recordings for public broadcast from other companies.

Just like you can rag on a tech guy to go make the music, you can rag on a music guy to go make the tech, and before people freak out, a guitar and a microphone is technically technology...

Both are difficult to get good at...

If you were paid $15 for 20,000 spins it is simply because those spins stunk...

If you were the owner of it and they were all legitimate spins and especially from premium accounts, you would have made over $100...

I am also not 100% sure if you will see PRO money for 20,000 spotify spins.

I receive some PRO money for online digital and streaming music, but unless you scale the stream amount to a really big number, it will be small, really small...

That being said I am definitely concerned about the overall organization of how they are deciding what gets paid and am likely owed money all the same...

But overall I have found streaming to be a positive solution to the new economies, and these tech companies are doing what they can to make it pay and quite frankly paying out a lot across the board to use music...

Perhaps if the major labels weren't so heavy-handed the overall payouts across the board could be better for everybody...

With all that being said, if you are owed it you should be paid it...

The thing is, most people aren't really owed squat, not enough to make a real dent, and just seem to think their special little song deserves to be glorified for nothing with a showering of monies for their greatness, which sadly isn't how it works...
RichEnigma
New here

Postby 10K-DB Music » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:07 am

ya know,,Im wondering about some of the pages out there that my songs are on,,some have 1,000 or more plays or clks,,Im not really sure if there actual views of the vids or what,,but Ive never received any $ for them,,so Im wondering if somehow the trks/audio have been transferred to a different site out there Ive never seen,,and I wouldnt know the difference. Hummm,,,Be safe out there!
10K-DB Music
Poster
 Registered BMI writer. Live//Studio  performer.  Vocals//Bass/Guitars