You are here

Sound mixing as a student job?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Sound mixing as a student job?

Postby tobin. » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:46 am

So in short I have been doing live sound at the church I go to for at least 5 years now (and I massively enjoy it) with about say 2-4 hrs of mixing a week except summer holidays.

Equipment im used to is Allen heath GLD 40, in ear monitoring. SM 58 which I prefer to the Sennheiser EW 100 ish? Wireless mics we have when it comes to singing for sure.

Usually I'm mixing for about drumset, Nordstage 3, bass, e guitar, acoustic (I would say generally ok but some not so nice sounding ones as well) and 2-3 vocalists and 80% women which is unfortunate there aren't more guys.

Aside from that my technical knowledge is quite limited, I have a good grasp of physics and electronics but that is about it and musically I played trumpet for at least 6 years in school/ jazz bands.

Is it realistic to try and find a job that goes well next to studying at the moment, and what can I expect and where can you find a good regular job, what is pay I could expect (Berlin Germany if it helps)

I do know how to use analog Mixers they have pros and cons Vs digital, and on stage monitors are mainly a drawback in my experience but I can handle them.

Anyways here's 20 y old me and my hobby ^^ any tips would be great
tobin.

Re: Sound mixing as a student job?

Postby The Red Bladder » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:26 pm

Berlin? I doubt that there are many if any jobs going in audio in Berlin - the field is still vibrant in Berlin and people are making TV programmes and films - but A-for-V requires experience and the producers will be looking for 'Gestalter Bild u. Ton' or similar qualification plus experience.

Live work means going to PA companies - but they are VERY picky about who they work with and most bands hire their own sound guy. Someone just looking for a holiday job whilst studying does not really fit the bill.

Work in a factory, work in a shop, there is work to be had in Berlin.

What are you studying? Perhaps that is the direction you could be taking.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:28 pm

Find a local PA company that needs help. You probably won't be mixing to start with but you'll start off carrying gear, rigging it up and learning how a gig runs (which is very different from church sound in my limited experience of church sound). I don't know Berlin but I know quite a few professional sound people who started off as a general assistant for a local PA company.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby steadyeddie » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:14 pm

Take a look through this helpful resource from the National Careers Service about jobs in entertainment and music businesses:

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/studio-sound-engineer that suggests
Volunteering to get experience and you could start as a runner or an assistant in a recording studio and work your way up by learning basic tasks and making contacts.
steadyeddie
New here
Going Steady - Just Like Eddie

Postby resistorman » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:22 am

I would bet live audio jobs are going to be thin on the ground since pretty much all events, conferences, and concerts are being canceled around the world. All my work for the summer has been canceled.
resistorman
Frequent Poster