You are here

Genesis Reunion

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Genesis Reunion

Postby IAA » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:40 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51734115

Back in the day (up to ..and then there were three) they were the band I listened to most and spent some time learning much of their stuff - as any prog rock keyboardist tends to. Our son sent me the link knowing this but your know I’m not sure I want to go just for the “old medley” section of the show???

Maybe I should go to a tribute Genesis band instead :bouncy:
IAA
Frequent Poster

Re: Genesis Reunion

Postby Dave B » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:50 pm

I recently saw a Genesis tribute band. Very good. But not Genesis. I've never seen them so I'm quite interested. At the very least, you know that it's not because they all hate each other but need the money - they genuinely do seem to be mates who just like playing together.

Which is nice.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:58 pm

I'll be there. It's still the music I return to when I despair of the world - simply genius and moving music played by masters of their art.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby MarkOne » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:12 pm

I think I saw every tour from Duke right through to the oddity that was Calling All Stations, and their music has been a huge part of my life. I never saw the band prior to that, but I was at Milton Keynes in '82 to see the Six of the Best one-off reunion.

And Tony has been a huge inspiration to me as a keyboard player.

Steve Hackett has been keeping the flame alive with his Genesis Revisited tours, and those have been really good,

But if the tickets are not stratospheric in price (always a risk) I'm hoping to be at one of the shows
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby MOF » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:22 pm

There was a very good documentary on the BBC a few years ago that had all the past and present members involved, unfortunately my Humax freeview recorder died and now I can’t watch it.
There was one song where Banks and Rutherford clearly still had issues over Banks‘s ability to play guitar, not his principal instrument, for those that don’t know. So expect an on stage spat over that. :lol:
I thought it was funny when Banks said we were happy for Phil’ to have a solo career, but not very happy with his level of success. Phil’ in return said he was always the ‘new boy’.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby IAA » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:52 pm

It's still the music I return to when I despair of the world

I know, I know, I listened to Can Utility the other day and remain amazed at the textures and emotion Banks wrestled from that mellotron.

I’ll likely go if I can get a ticket for Leeds, for old times sake, but if Steve joined that would be awesome, although I think he struggled with mr B as I recall.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:27 pm

For a strange turn of chance, Genesis was one of the first big concerts I went, at 15 - the Invisible Touch tour with Paul Young as an opener, in San Siro in Milan. Very random as I really didn't know them at all, but a friend was a big fan (from his brother) and had tickets..
Torrential rain and being there 5 hrs before the start - the stuff of magic.

Didn't know much of their previous music then, don't know much of it now, but loved that experience and liked that album, even if I guess it's among their later, "pop" period which is probably no so valued by purists. And "Land of Confusion" is still a song which I find musically and poetically holding its own today. I've never been a big fan of Phil's solo stuff (with the exception of "In the air" of course), but I found sad to hear he couldn't play drums anymore... and quite happy now that he can again.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby The Elf » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:08 pm

CS70 wrote:Didn't know much of their previous music then, don't know much of it now, but loved that experience and liked that album, even if I guess it's among their later, "pop" period which is probably no so valued by purists.
There were some good moments in the later stuff, but nothing to touch the likes of 'Can-Utility', 'Fountain of Salmacis', 'White Mountain' and the mighty 'Supper's Ready' - the power and emotion in those songs still floors me.

'Wind and Wuthering' was the last album to have that sense of grand romaticism that I adored about Genesis - that aspect of their music all but disappeared after Steve left.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby IAA » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:11 pm

and I think that Steve leaving was a huge part of that.
This for sure. :thumbup:
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:45 pm

The Elf wrote:
CS70 wrote:Didn't know much of their previous music then, don't know much of it now, but loved that experience and liked that album, even if I guess it's among their later, "pop" period which is probably no so valued by purists.
There were some good moments in the later stuff, but nothing to touch the likes of 'Can-Utility', 'Fountain of Salmacis', 'White Mountain' and the mighty 'Supper's Ready' - the power and emotion in those songs still floors me.

'Wind and Wuthering' was the last album to have that sense of grand romaticism that I adored about Genesis - that aspect of their music all but disappeared after Steve left.

Just youtubed 'Supper's Ready' and listened to bits and pieces. Lots of tracks feel a bit like Pink Floyd meets Supertramp :D Liked "Feel your body melt", nice groove.

The thing I find with these 70s tracks (same feel I have with Led Zeppelin, for example) is that the lyrics don't really do anything for me. It feels like someone's just writing down the first thing that comes to his mind and sort of rhymed - they manage to feel a bit pompous, like they want to convey some sort of real substance but in the end they don't manage. The thing with Zeppelin is that the music, literally, rocks - everything is absolutely exceptional, from the musical ideas, the riffs, the vocal acting, and of course the playing, so many composition stand on their own on the sheer musical uniqueness of them from the first moment you hear them. The daft lyrics are there, but it's okay because they're not really the point. Maybe I'm just born in the wrong decade. :)

That's why stuff like "land of confusion" or that other one, think it's called "that's all" catches me more - the song is actually saying something in a simple, clear and honest manner, not trying to be anything that it's not, but in way that's well crafted and works in sync with the music. A little bit like clarity in a mix, there's not too many layers of fog..

Of course only my irrelevant opinion, and there's gazillion fans who obviously disagree and nothing wrong with that.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:25 pm

The Elf wrote:'Wind and Wuthering' was the last album to have that sense of grand romaticism that I adored about Genesis - that aspect of their music all but disappeared after Steve left.

I agree, and these days I listen to his solo stuff more than the early Genesis stuff. To my ears Genesis became a completely different band post-Hackett.

IAA wrote:but if Steve joined that would be awesome

I think it likely that will never happen (I would be delighted were I proved wrong) :(

That said, I found Hackett's "Genesis Revisited" show mesmerising, to the point I had (good) tears running down my face more than once when they played in Brighton!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby themarqueeyears » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:28 am

CS70 wrote: .... but I found sad to hear he couldn't play drums anymore... and quite happy now that he can again.

The poor chap can't even walk without a stick let alone play drums!

Phil's only agreed to the tour on the basis his 19 year old son Nick plays drums on the tour!

I saw them a Twickenham for the "Turn it on again" reunion tour and for me (having seen Genesis of old - even the Duke days) it so lacked energy, Mike Rutherford looked on stage to be thinking more about what colour fabric to recover his cushions in his conservatory!

So without Chester T. as a power house and Phil sat down for the whole gig this is going to be nothing more than a trip down memory lane.

I remember Phil at Twickenham (2007 - 13 years ago!) saying "last song as we're due back at the home" .... this time he might not be kidding :tongue:

I'll buy a ticket of course :D
themarqueeyears
Regular

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:56 am

I saw the price of the tickets and I thought "enough is enough". I'm not paying those prices. My memories of seeing Genesis at their best will now suffice.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkOne » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:02 am

The Elf wrote:I saw the price of the tickets and I thought "enough is enough". I'm not paying those prices. My memories of seeing Genesis at their best will now suffice.

I know! When I looked on Friday, most of the still available tickets were part of a 'package' including dinner, a hotel and some sort of VIP pack. And all very nice I'm sure, but I just want to go to a bloody gig! When my 10 days on a Mediterranian island later in the year is of a comparable cost to some of the tickets, it's time to say NO.

All those times I saw them from back in 1980 when I saw them at the long-gone Sofia Gardens Pavillion through to the last time I saw them (Well Mike and Tony anyway, with Ray Wilson valiantly trying to do vocals, and some no-name side-men) on the '98 Calling All Stations tour, The tickets were always affordable - Even as young-ish married folk with no money and a mortgage we struggled with, I still recall ticket prices being something we could actually afford. Even the big Wembley stadium gigs.

Has the cost of staging big arena shows really spiralled up so much in the last 20 years?
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:37 am

The Elf wrote:I'll be there. It's still the music I return to when I despair of the world - simply genius and moving music played by masters of their art.

:mrgreen: Envious :sick: - me and my best mate tried to get tickets but kept getting bumped so are "without".

£700 for a front row seat at some venues seems steep, but this is likely to be the last chance for the members to top up those pensions and they've delivered some wonderful music over the decades that I still enjoy listening to today, so I won't begrudge them charging at that level.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 11,112 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Next