You are here

Producer Points Unsigned Artist

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Producer Points Unsigned Artist

Postby rdsyo » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:48 am

Hello! I’ve got a question concerning producer points when working with an independent artist. I’m finishing up an EP for an unsigned artist and in my contract I am taking a percentage of all profit gained from the Masters. My question is, what is the best way to receive those royalties? I know with a label I’d be paid through the label, so is it best to just have the artist take the lead and send me my cut with a report every several months or to have it done through the distribution company? And if done the automated way through distribution, what all needs to be documented and filed for? Thanks a ton
rdsyo

Re: Producer Points Unsigned Artist

Postby RichEnigma » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:37 pm

Hi,

The best way to receive those royalties is to own the Masters and handle the payouts yourself...

Otherwise if you or they are self releasing do it through someone like DistroKid, where you can just put in the splits when you release the music, and their software will automatically send you your money.

If I was to work with an Indy artist I would want to own the Masters and handle the payouts otherwise it's just too risky...

You need to send the song info to a PRO if you are signed to one. You need ISRC codes which most of these aggregators or distributors offer for free and really that's about it...

I can't recall hardly any of them asking for contracts or anything...
RichEnigma
New here

Postby rdsyo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:22 am

RichEnigma wrote:Hi,

The best way to receive those royalties is to own the Masters and handle the payouts yourself...

Otherwise if you or they are self releasing do it through someone like DistroKid, where you can just put in the splits when you release the music, and their software will automatically send you your money.

If I was to work with an Indy artist I would want to own the Masters and handle the payouts otherwise it's just too risky...

You need to send the song info to a PRO if you are signed to one. You need ISRC codes which most of these aggregators or distributors offer for free and really that's about it...

That is incredibly smart about owning the Masters. Thank you very much! Definitely doing that on the next one.

For this project we’ve already signed an agreement. Do I need to send song info to my PRO even if I am not involved in the writing? I’m just the producer with a cut of the profit for this project
rdsyo

Postby RichEnigma » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:03 am

rdsyo wrote:
RichEnigma wrote:Hi,

That is incredibly smart about owning the Masters. Thank you very much! Definitely doing that on the next one.

For this project we’ve already signed an agreement. Do I need to send song info to my PRO even if I am not involved in the writing? I’m just the producer with a cut of the profit for this project

If you aren't a writer, no you don't need to send it to your PRO.

I should have asked if you were being paid up front. So I should have said that for indy stuff if they have no label, either owning it or handling the distribution of it, depending on where they are at in their career, is the best thing to do if you hope to be paid royalties.

Of course if they are paying you an up front fee plus the royalties then it's a bit trickier to own the masters as he/she who pays for it owns it, more or less.

So if that is the case offering to distribute it by obtaining the rights is a good way to see your royalties. Otherwise you are just relying on indy musicians and artists who can be notoriously poor with finances and paying, actually paying you.

The main idea is to actually help them by providing more service which at the same time helps ensure you actually get paid, as opposed to taking advantage of anyone.

It's hard to expect bands and singers to keep you abreast of their physical album sales and send you the royalties. So owning it, handling it or getting more up front is a good solution.

Funny of course how who pays for it owns it yet labels give advances for recording costs that need to be recouped.

So, if you , or whoever, aren't being paid or hardly paid anything and you know they see some sales and spins and are active, then advancing them the production and recording costs can give you ownership of the masters and all the first money until their advance is paid off...

And then you cut them cheques for their share when sales occur. You could sign an agreement that forces them to use something like square payment at gigs so the payments go into a bank account you control and you pay them instead of hoping they have good accounting and a high credit score.
RichEnigma
New here