You are here

Impact of C-virus on music business - musos, venues, and supporting folks

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Impact of C-virus on music business - musos, venues, and supporting folks

Postby blinddrew » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:52 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:This place really has turned into Mumsnet!
Nope, that would be when people ignore the scientists and experts, extrapolate their own experiences, and draw a load of false equivalences.

Oh no, right you are...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Agharta » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:53 pm

Is that a compliment or criticism? :shh:
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Moroccomoose » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:11 pm

RedBladder, I usually enjoy your tough love, harsh reality, no nonsense teachings of the industry in which you are very knowledgeable. On this occasion, I think you are setting the wrong tone.
Truth is no one knows what the right answer is, or how measured the response should be. The best we can do is take the advice of the medical experts and respect their knowledge in their fields.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby The Red Bladder » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:20 pm

The English used to be famous for their sense of humour. Not it seems that only the Germans and Australians (well, at least the younger ones!) find C19 funny!

Translation - "Who left the idiot-box open again and let all the idiots out?'

The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby FrankF » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:55 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:The English used to be famous for their sense of humour. Not it seems that only the Germans and Australians (well, at least the younger ones!) find C19 funny!

Think yourself lucky you don't live in France, where the police are behaving even more charmingly than usual...(Google "French police bundle woman to the ground and kick a man" if you're curious...)
FrankF
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:22 pm

Not sure I have the stomach for their kind of bear-pit free for all.

Much nicer here, arguments are more about validity of scientific literature backing up a particular position than the position itself, usually.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby N i g e l » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:28 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:I've just had C19 and it is nothing! Most people will not even realise that they've got it or just assume that they caught a bit of a cold or that they are hung-over from a wild night with a scarlet-woman from Grimsby.

Which varient did you have ? The mild "S" type or the aggressive "L" type ?

I was in bed for a week at the start of the year with the strangest "cold" ever - which has got me thinking.

As to Grimsby, I have never been there but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:53 pm

N i g e l wrote: Which varient did you have ? The mild "S" type or the aggressive "L" type ?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2236544-coronavirus-are-there-two-strains-and-is-one-more-deadly/

One strain is apparently not thought to be more 'deadly' than the other. The 'aggressive' term used in the research reports relates to the virus's ability to spread itself within the community, with the L type appearing to be spread more easily than the S type.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Red Bladder » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:59 pm

And whilst I'm here and you are all indignant about me being 'heartless' and 'setting the wrong tone' - what exactly do you think the effect of a 20% reduction in GDP will bring?

A World-wide depression!

And who will be the main sufferers of that depression? Well, for starters, it will not be me because I am not poor.

Every year, year in, year out, year-by-year, 17,000 people in the UK die because they live in substandard housing. Of those, 3,000 die because they cannot afford to heat their homes. The rest die of fungal infections and other similar ailments.

And that is EVERY year. Poverty kills. And this hysteria will serve to make people like me richer. With the poor dying or unable to pay the rent, I can buy more houses and rent them out.

A new army of the desperate and unemployed will become cheap and available for work.

And with government busy printing more money and lending sums that will never be returned, not paying taxes in all this confusion and fuss will be even easier.

We are having a massive economic sudden stop. It's the sort of thing that happens in fragile banana republics, it doesn't happen economy-wide and it certainly doesn't happen worldwide, but that's what is occurring right now.

The idiotic UK government (and others!) are printing money, lending money and reducing interest rates to zero or near-zero.

In the past week, however, something far more insidious has begun to unfold which threatens to unhinge the global economy and thwart efforts to repair our financial systems.

In what is shaping up to be an even more severe rerun of the events of 2008, credit markets have completely seized. Think of the shelves in your local supermarket and transpose that to money markets.

Cash supplies have evaporated, money is being hoarded and the real market interest rates — the price of cash — are soaring.

Central banks now find themselves staring into the abyss, on the verge of losing control of the only real weapon they have at their disposal — interest rates.

This could be the point when that virus jumps the barrier, when a health crisis infects the global financial system and sends the world economy into a severe depression with waves of corporate collapses and mass unemployment.

Ever since the US Federal Reserve slashed cash rates to near zero at the weekend, money markets have headed in the opposite direction. Cash is fast becoming rare and unaffordable. Those companies that have been gorging on cheap credit are going to fail and world-wide, millions will lose their jobs.

Why? Because this mass hysteria means that people (i.e. us) are not spending. And if we fail to spend, companies don't have cash coming in and cash-flow is EVERYTHING to the survival of a company.

There have been endless warnings about the enormous build-up of debt, particularly amongst big corporations and especially American companies, over the past few years. American corporate debt has ballooned to about $US19 trillion. US government debt is now over $20 trillion!

The International Monetary Fund, the Bank for International Settlements, the World Bank and the OECD have been banging on about it for years. Whilst a day of reckoning always was expected, no-one anticipated a variation of the common cold would be the catalyst.

Airlines and tourism have been the first to fall victim. But they are just the first-line casualties.

Service industries across the globe have seen revenues crater as customers have fled for the safety of home. Businesses that provide those companies with goods and services have been hit.

The sudden drop in revenues - in some cases to almost zero - means that a large proportion of those massive corporate debts no longer can be serviced. They can't afford to pay the interest, let alone the principal.

That has sent shivers through the financial world. Actually, that's an understatement. Financiers are in a mad panic.

Companies don't just borrow long-term for big investments. They also borrow cash for as little as a week and, in some cases, overnight. Occasionally, it is for finance just to pay wages. With money, even on short-term loans, in such short supply, desperate corporations have looked to draw down any reserves and lines of credit they can find.

That's why there has been such a massive share-sell-off. It happened to get cash!

But it's all OK because according to The Express, The Queen is still smiling!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:15 pm

Thanks for that...

But on the upside, the Eurovision Song Contest has been cancelled.

Silver linings... :bouncy:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:27 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:And whilst I'm here and you are all indignant about me being 'heartless' and 'setting the wrong tone'...

You're being heartless, you're just wrong in your previous statement in bold.

In your last post I see nothing to disagree with, I think you have it spot on.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:...But on the upside, the Eurovision Song Contest has been cancelled.

Now that's heartless, you beast. (FLOUNCE!)
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby blinddrew » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:39 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Thanks for that...

Interestingly this seems to be driving a near-perfect 50/50 split down my friends list on facebook. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Mike McLoone » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:16 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:C19 will kill a few thousand.

Actual live board is here:
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

In Berlin the mayor is going ape, complaining about all the people hanging out in the parks, ignoring proper social distancing procedures. What does he expect, it's 17 degrees outside and they've gone and told everyone to do "home office", which basically amounts to checking your emails from your mobile every few hours whilst swilling beer in the park.

Bull market was due a nose-dive since ages, this is as good a reason as any.
Mike McLoone
Regular
"It's all gone quiet." said Rhubarb "Not nearly quiet enough." said John Cage

Postby N i g e l » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:00 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Thanks for that...

not just a silly song contest but also a live stress test of the network !

personally I shall miss the tech fest theatrics.

one of my favourite performances is Sergey Lazarev's virtual block climbing.
Near did my head in on the big screen and he doesnt look entirely happy at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e94dst20C9Y

skip the first 1:15 if your inclined
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext