You are here

Coronavirus Impact on the music industry (without talk on the virus itself :)

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Coronavirus Impact on the music industry (without talk on the virus itself :)

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:46 am

Made a new thread as the existing one is now become more a conversation on the health strategies and the virus than on the industry.

Getting back to the impact on the music industry, I ran a little acoustic show last night streaming on Facebook. After an initial glitch, we had about 170 viewers over the half an hour of performance and about 60% of them did as we had asked - donating money to a Coronavirus-related charity as a "ticket".

That went way beyond my expectations, for what was basically a test, advertised only in a limited way and mostly to friends. Had I put our band direct-pay number in place instead of the charity, considering the very low expenses, we would actually have made far more money than any small pub playing we've done!

The really big acts, asking very high entry prices will undoubtedly lose loads of money, as you probably cannot charge the insane prices of live concerts.

But if you are an act with some degree of popularity, live streaming seems to be a surprisingly cost effective to reach your audience, at least so long everybody is in lockdown :D

That could be a major development in the live music - the lockdown is forcing people to get acquainted with the tech (both on the performer and the punter side) and habit is always the major obstacles for these things..

The next step is to figure out how often to put out shows and how - it's not as easy as with a physical tour where you know that every second night there are new people in the new location who haven't seen your show yet. On the flip side, the potential audience is enormous and both Facebook and YT allow geographic localization..

In all this mess, a really interesting development.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Coronavirus Impact on the music industry (without talk on the virus itself :)

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:49 pm

Dagnabbit I thought that was tonight! :(
Sorry about that. I assume you recorded it?

Anyway, back to the thread...

A couple of friends of mine have done live streaming gigs in the last week with reasonable results (the ticket price to charity is a great idea) the challenge is working out the best frequency.
I'm trying a different approach by sharing a new song each night for a week - but I'm in a different boat as I'm not trying to replicate any lost income streams.
My income only streams one way with music! :D

I know a few people who are still offering music lessons via webinar and that seems to be working ok and keeping a few dollars coming in.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Coronavirus Impact on the music industry (without talk on the virus itself :)

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:56 pm

Just curious - the entire band is in 1 room? Or are we talking solo act?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:03 pm

and what program did you use?
I have friends who teach yoga, Pilates etc. they are using Zoom.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:13 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Just curious - the entire band is in 1 room? Or are we talking solo act?

No, it was just me - best not to take risks (besides, the bass player has temporarily moved back with his family on the other side of the country :D)

You find the link in the "Self-promotion". :-)
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:22 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:and what program did you use?
I have friends who teach yoga, Pilates etc. they are using Zoom.

As of the setup, I used OBS as software - it can stream from any source including your desktop to any remote stream channel, including Facebook Live (which I used) and YouTube. I used a capture card so I could take the HDMI output of my camera for a good quality image instead of a webcam.

Audio is two mics (Peluso VTB on vocals, TLM 102 on guitar - not the best choice this latter but I had to improvise since I forgot the N22 home) into the Touchmix, again into the interface (I took my old Steinberg UR22M).

The reason for using the Touchmix is that it has onboard effects and I could set gain and the balance on headphones before streaming, using the remote app on my phone. It's tough to be a one man band! :D

A downside on being on your own is that I found no simple way ("touch one button") to disable the FX - so I couldn't remove the reverb from the vocal mic when talking. I didn't think of checking until I realized the problem there, maybe there is a simple way to do it from the remote app. But even then it'd be a bit clunky with the phone turning itself off after some little time and the Touchmix app crashing as a consequence. :D So it was set and forget.

From the software side, I had a panic moment at start, when the stream went down and Facebook live for some time refused to reconnect it. It was then reconnected, but then it dropped again and evidently self connected again (the computer was turned the other side, so I had no idea :)).

But all in all for a first time it was reasonably smooth - and with the capture card I could save the HDMI stream independently, which got handy so I could repost the better capture later on.

As for Zoom, so long it's one person I guess anything can work!
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:32 pm

blinddrew wrote:Dagnabbit I thought that was tonight! :(
Sorry about that. I assume you recorded it?

Yup, the live stream is automatically recorded on FB (but I inadvertently made OBS crop the image, think it happened when I resized the windows :D) so I put the uncropped image on both FB and YT - you find it on FB at

https://www.facebook.com/18599738149640 ... 848455335/
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:36 pm

blinddrew wrote:A couple of friends of mine have done live streaming gigs in the last week with reasonable results (the ticket price to charity is a great idea) the challenge is working out the best frequency.
I'm trying a different approach by sharing a new song each night for a week - but I'm in a different boat as I'm not trying to replicate any lost income streams.
My income only streams one way with music! :D

I know a few people who are still offering music lessons via webinar and that seems to be working ok and keeping a few dollars coming in.

I think your idea is excellent, one song per evening is a great format. Even one per week could work. My problem is that I don't have enough songs that I feel work well with just one guitar :D

The fun thing is that there's literally no costs - I cannot stream from home because of the kids but otherwise I wouldn't even use the little gas I use to go to the location.

I would like to try a "virtual tour" by limiting the stream accessibility by location, and I don't know which is best - FB or YouTube (or anything else really) for streaming. I suppose in "normal" times it might be worth spending some money in marketing, just like a normal gig..
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby wireman » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:52 pm

This might be of interest to anyone struggling in the cultural and creative sector in Scotland...

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-culture-and-creative-sector-support/

There might be similar initiatives elsewhere.
wireman
Regular

Postby N i g e l » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:36 pm

This is more broadcast industry than music but it was interesting to see that
the Grand National at Aintree was replaced with a virtual race. Betting profits to goto the NHS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBwte-Isi3c

{
The Grand National is a UK national hunt horse race over "hedges".
Noted for its high attrition rate and non finishers.
Attendance at the event is normally upto 50,000
}
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:47 pm

There should be solutions now to give access to streams via tickets with personalized URLs. They probably should be one use - even of course it’s perfectly possible to ‘sneak in’..
CS70
Jedi Poster