You are here

Britains Got Talent - is it recorded live?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Britains Got Talent - is it recorded live?

Postby waxwobbler » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:58 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aii62acsp_E

I was watching this on Saturday with the family and wondered how it is recorded. This girl is obviously extremely talented and this is not meant to be any kind of mud slinging. I don't watch the show but have seen it before and wondered what is going on.

It just sounds so polished, do you think it's

A: Totally legit - stop being so cynical
B; Recorded live and polished before air with mastering tools?
c: A few cheeky edits?
D: Recorded in a studio and dubbed before the broadcast?

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
waxwobbler
Poster

Re: Britains Got Talent - is it recorded live?

Postby modenadavid » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:22 am

I’m not sure about BGT but I do know that The Voice is pre recorded as my lad went to see a recording some weeks before it was broadcast. I would also imagine that the sound track is polished post production. I cant imagine lip syncing goes on ( that’s usually pretty obvious) so I would assume it is recorded live.
modenadavid

Postby BJG145 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:40 am

I'm hyper-cynical about these kinds of shows, but having just watched that clip I could believe it was a live production without too much messing around. I doubt it was dubbed or cut. The girl's apparently starring in a Tina Turner musical...I remember seeing Tina live and thinking what a terrific vocal performance it was. Some people really are pretty good.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:01 am

Some people are just good, as has been said. I’ve no reason to believe it was pre-recorded.
And anything that the Cowell's are involved in AFAIC is all right by me, very nice people that get a lot of unwanted criticism.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:25 am

For a 12 year old to have that much sheer confidence on stage she must have had a lot of previous experience and training.

AFAIK the show is recorded as live with the audience, and then edited for time and cutaways. There is no 'audio polishing' involved in terms of autotune etc, but I believe there is a dub to re-balance the performer, panel comments, back stage asides and audience reactions -- just to tidy things up from the live mix.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:59 am

I find the most irratating thing, not on BGT but rather on The X Factor, is when Cowell does his musical genius bit by stopping the singer, asking them whether they have another track and then magically extracting a star performance from them. Then there are all the no-hopers that have been built up by the production staff into believing that they have talent only to be thrown to the lions for our watching pleasure.

I was watching The Elephant Man on TV last night. Is there really that much difference bewteen talent and reality TV shows of today and the Victorian travelling Freak Shows?
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:06 am

and, of course, what most people don't realise is that there is a few rounds of producers before you get to see the judges, so if you do get in front of the judges then it's done for a reason, not necessarily because of your talent levels.

Oh and one thing Louis Walsh once said is that whilst he's quite happy to sell the likes of Jedward to people he can't stand that kind of music and actually has quite good music taste, Simon Cowell on the other hand...
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:08 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:For a 12 year old to have that much sheer confidence on stage she must have had a lot of previous experience and training.

Maybe. But some people, just as part of their own make up, just have a clue what to do and benchmark themselves against the top end pros - they just really are that good (that's not to say they know everything, there's always a lot to learn) and operate *way* above the level of most people. That's one of the things that makes them different, and potential stars. You can just see it, even in a fairly unpolished state. And it's only up from there, if they're smart about it.

Music Wolf wrote:I find the most irratating thing, not on BGT but rather on The X Factor, is when Cowell does his musical genius bit by stopping the singer, asking them whether they have another track and then magically extracting a star performance from them. Then there are all the no-hopers that have been built up by the production staff into believing that they have talent only to be thrown to the lions for our watching pleasure.

Sure, but that's what the show is, and for the people that just don't know any better - well, they deserve what they get, really! For years I'm surprised that people still think these things are talent shows, when they're not, they are reality entertainment TV shows fed by mostly hopeless wannabees. *If* you;re good, and you're smart, you can use them as a platform to move up, but mostly, the performers are just fish food.

Music Wolf wrote:I was watching The Elephant Man on TV last night. Is there really that much difference bewteen talent and reality TV shows of today and the Victorian travelling Freak Shows?

They elicit similar feelings of horror from me, but... at the end of the day, the people going on have an experience, and they'll make of that what they well. And to that I say, good luck to them! :thumbup: :clap:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:33 am

desmond wrote:But some people, just as part of their own make up, just have a clue what to do and benchmark themselves against the top end pros - they just really are that good...

Yes, absolutely. But those people naturally come to the fore, and typically get involved in big school productions, amateur stage productions, and often have dancing/singing lessons too. So they will have had considerable experience of standing up in front of people to do their thing before appearing on a show like that.

For years I'm surprised that people still think these things are talent shows, when they're not, they are reality entertainment TV shows fed by mostly hopeless wannabees. *If* you;re good, and you're smart, you can use them as a platform to move up, but mostly, the performers are just fish food.

We used to have genuine talent shows, but in these kinds of programmes for every genuine talent we're shown half a dozen no-hopers who are paraded in the name of entertainment when it's actually nothing more than public humiliation and bullying. I make a point of not watching for that reason. My policy is never to engage with anything that encourages people to laugh at rather than with someone's misfortunes.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby CS70 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:44 am

Yes, had the opportunity to get quite near with some of these productions (not the UK ones but same formats) and everything is pre-recorded - but as a live show. There's some post, especially video cutting and of course also a little audio but performances are more or less unchanged, mostly to limit costs - aside from some little reverb and balancing. However, the intention is always to attract as many voters as possible so if something is really off the producers won't hesitate to fix it in post, unless of course some drama is more profitable.

The point of these shows is to make money out of advertising and the infernal sms voting. They are one of the few things I really hate. I still have to decide which is most debasing - these kind of shows, the various "battles of the bands" or the various "songwriter competitions".

What they have in common is that they prey on young (and not so young) people's wishes and lack of understanding of how things work, deceiving them in order to make money.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:48 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
desmond wrote:But some people, just as part of their own make up, just have a clue what to do and benchmark themselves against the top end pros - they just really are that good...

Yes, absolutely. But those people naturally come to the fore, and typically get involved in big school productions, amateur stage productions, and often have dancing/singing lessons too. So they will have had considerable experience of standing up in front of people to do their thing before appearing on a show like that.

My wife and #1 son are ballet/theatre dance teachers, Matt danced professional for a dozen years and Gwyneth started the ballet school when she was 16 (47 years ago). They have ex pupils on the professional stage in a dozen countries. As you say these really good kids are probably having classes for several hours a week by the time they are 12 and have been dancing and/or singing since they were 3 or 4 at dance competitions and in amateur and professional productions.

For years I'm surprised that people still think these things are talent shows, when they're not, they are reality entertainment TV shows fed by mostly hopeless wannabees. *If* you;re good, and you're smart, you can use them as a platform to move up, but mostly, the performers are just fish food.

We used to have genuine talent shows, but in these kinds of programmes for every genuine talent we're shown half a dozen no-hopers who are paraded in the name of entertainment when it's actually nothing more than public humiliation and bullying. I make a point of not watching for that reason. My policy is never to engage with anything that encourages people to laugh at rather than with someone's misfortunes.

H

Yup, well said Hugh.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby desmond » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:49 am

CS70 wrote:What they have in common is that they prey on young (and not so young) people's wishes and lack of understanding of how things work, deceiving them in order to make money.

To be fair, the music industry's been doing that for decades... :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby CS70 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:44 pm

desmond wrote:
CS70 wrote:What they have in common is that they prey on young (and not so young) people's wishes and lack of understanding of how things work, deceiving them in order to make money.

To be fair, the music industry's been doing that for decades... :headbang:

Well, not to that degree I think? And not so explicitly..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby OneWorld » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:10 pm

Music Wolf wrote:I find the most irratating thing, not on BGT but rather on The X Factor, is when Cowell does his musical genius bit by stopping the singer, asking them whether they have another track and then magically extracting a star performance from them. Then there are all the no-hopers that have been built up by the production staff into believing that they have talent only to be thrown to the lions for our watching pleasure.

I was watching The Elephant Man on TV last night. Is there really that much difference bewteen talent and reality TV shows of today and the Victorian travelling Freak Shows?

That's entertainment. BGT, X-Factor etc are not showcase events for the local music conservatoire, but merely something for us the great unwashed to huddle around the telly on a Saturday Night (anything but the maudlin uber serious Killing Eve) and have a good moan, guffaw and on the occasion, a 'Wow!"

Simon Cowell put it very succinctly - "We sell a product, just like washing powder. Imagine yourself walking down the supermarket aisle where the washing powder is. Each box looks different but essentially the contents are the same. We have to make our box stand out from the rest"

I guess that's why it's called the Music 'Industry' and we take from music what we choose, some want to shake a booty, others want to vanish into a corner and contemplate their navel. Don't take BGT too seriously, and you might even get to like it. And every now and again, some talented singer who doesn't have Quincy Jones on speed dial gets the chance to let us hear them sing, which on most occasions is the result of hard work, dedication and perseverance in honing their skills so best of luck to them I say.

You'll find many of those that populate the lofty heights of stardom of have friends that have friends in the industry or check their provenance and they are well connected, so if an 'outsider' gets a chance.

That applies especially these days where you are more likely to find bat soup on the menu at the Nightingale Hospital than find live music venues in the locality, talent needs somewhere to be showcased.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Tim Gillett » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:19 pm

The vocal's heavily compressed but maybe that was done in post where you can compress as much as you like and no risk of feedback!

Sung higher notes tend to be much louder especially if you are powering it to reach them, but in the processed TV version that has been greatly tamed. Maybe the roar you hear from the crowd at certain higher notes could partly be because they were being blown away by the full live voice dynamics.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next