You are here

PRS, collecting royalties.

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

PRS, collecting royalties.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:23 am

I had some of my music played on the radio, OK, I’m a member of the PRS as I have occasionally had my music played on radio stations in other countries, and they have earned me royalties, and all of my tracks have ISRC codes.
My recent BBC radio session is confusing me, my friends are saying that I should be entitled to royalties from this too, and shouldn’t let it go, as I may have had repeat plays elsewhere, and that money could mount up. I’m wondering how I get the ISRC code for this music? Do I approach the PRS, or the BBC? I didn’t set up my PRS membership, or get the codes for the rest of my music, the guy that runs our label, and website, did it all for me.
It’s a difficult time to sort this out, as organisations are difficult to contact, I’m going to try and ring the PRS this morning, and try and get this sorted, but just thought I’d run it by you guys first.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Re: PRS, collecting royalties.

Postby Ramirez » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:51 am

ISRC codes are issued by the PPL. They’re not a necessity to get your royalties though. They are allocated to labels to attach to tracks that they release.

PRS royalties are paid for the composition, not the recording. ISRC codes, on the other hand, are are allocated per recording.

You should make sure that all your original songs are registered with the PRS, including the songs for the BBC session, then you should get your royalties for them. You only register the song once, NOT every time you do a different recording. It doesn’t matter if its a BBC session, a label release or a Bandcamp download, or if you a version of the song for each of the above, you simply register the song once with the PRS.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Arpangel » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:53 am

Ramirez wrote:ISRC codes are issued by the PPL. They’re not a necessity to get your royalties though. They are allocated to labels to attach to tracks that they release.

PRS royalties are paid for the composition, not the recording. ISRC codes, on the other hand, are are allocated per recording.

You should make sure that all your original songs are registered with the PRS, including the songs for the BBC session, then you should get your royalties for them. You only register the song once, NOT every time you do a different recording.

Thanks a lot Ramirez, is there a time limit for registration after you make the music?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Ramirez » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:56 am

Arpangel wrote:
Ramirez wrote:ISRC codes are issued by the PPL. They’re not a necessity to get your royalties though. They are allocated to labels to attach to tracks that they release.

You should make sure that all your original songs are registered with the PRS, including the songs for the BBC session, then you should get your royalties for them. You only register the song once, NOT every time you do a different recording.

Thanks a lot Ramirez, is there a time limit for registration after you make the music?

No, you can register a song whenever you want. If a long time has passed since the radio plays they might not match up an generate the royalties though. I rhink that’s a matter of years though - months at least. But best do it asap in case. Good practise to register your songs once you’ve written them!
Ramirez
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:14 am

Ramirez wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

No, you can register a song whenever you want. If a long time has passed since the radio plays they might not match up an generate the royalties though. I rhink that’s a matter of years though - months at least. But best do it asap in case. Good practise to register your songs once you’ve written them!

Thanks again, I’ll try and call them this morning and sort this out.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Ramirez » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:06 am

Arpangel wrote:
Ramirez wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

Thanks again, I’ll try and call them this morning and sort this out.

No problem. You can easily register your material on their website if you have an account.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster