You are here

Mobile-friendly website

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Mobile-friendly website

Postby BillB » Fri May 01, 2020 5:42 pm

I think I am right in saying that Weebly / Wix / SquaredSpace all include domain and hosting in the package, which could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on your point of view. My preference is to create and own the domain, then add content to it through HTML, edited templates or something like Mobirise,

I get nervous around solutions where everything is in the hands of one creator/landlord - who is not me. Similar to Mike's concerns about Web designers not necessarily being around in the long term. If a provider's T&Cs, costs or attitudes change unacceptably, I don't want to be tied in to them.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Fri May 01, 2020 6:45 pm

It is a problem.

Squarespace isn't going anywhere and has the best tech/infrastructure and slickness and ease of use. My main problem is that when you build you site on someone elses' platform, you can't take it and go somewhere else - you have to start from more or less scratch to rebuild it elsewhere, should there ever be any reason to move.

At least if you build your own site on standard components (html/css/php/js/mysql/etc), you can *always* pick up your ball and take it to someone else's field. And if someone else builds it for you, make sure that the contents can be edited and updated by you without much technical know how, so at least you can keep the site updated and aren't reliant on someone else to do it.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby wireman » Fri May 01, 2020 8:51 pm

desmond wrote:The website front-end uses a Twitter Bootstrap 3 grid-layout system (https://getbootstrap.com), which gives you a fairly standardised responsive CSS grid layout which will work from web through to mobile. I initially started the front end playing with Blocs (https://blocsapp.com) when I was trying it out to see whether it was worth using, but good as it is I outgrew it pretty quickly, and it's basically all done by hand.

I started with very basic HTML, later I had a site in Dreamweaver but it locks you in. Tried Wordpress but at the time it seemed targeted at a particular sort of page + comment site. You would want the infrastructure updated frequently to pick up security fixes if you use something like Wordpress.

The last time I did a site by hand coding in the brave new world of HTML5 and a view to supporting varying screen sizes I used initializr and GammaGallery but it looks like I have to move to Bootstrap directly now. Whatever you pick you have to decide how much work any customisation will be and keeping up with changes is more difficult if you roll your own.

And a personal note, since I use a big screen with a PC more than a mobile there are some sites I really don't like, the ones with super large fonts and the background images that change as you scroll a page.
wireman
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Sun May 03, 2020 4:07 pm

...gradually working my way through this update. So yes, as I was saying...

Wordpress? Brilliant! I love it! :thumbup: ;)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon May 04, 2020 5:33 pm

BillB wrote:I think I am right in saying that Weebly / Wix / SquaredSpace all include domain and hosting in the package, which could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on your point of view. My preference is to create and own the domain, then add content to it through HTML, edited templates or something like Mobirise,

I only know about Weebly...

You can include a domain name and hosting in your purchased package, but you don't have to. One of the sites I used to manage had a domain name that was well known and the users didn't wish to change. So the Weebly website was implemented using that domain name.

Other sites have wanted to do the same thing, but owing to the intransigence/unhelpfulness of the domain name registrars we ended up starting over with a new name and everything managed by Weebly.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Previous