You are here

Live gig and current UK covid regulations.

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Live gig and current UK covid regulations.

Postby adamotyril » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:45 pm

Hi,

Is it currently legal under UK covid law to promo a small live gig if the gig is small, outdoors, and a limited audience *is actually present at an outdoor location, listening to the performers* where both musicians and the small audience are carefully spaced two meters apart?

I've noticed that people are promo-ing small outdoor performances where the musicians are distanced, including a local fundraising event. While most are onine to view, some are not ! but take place in parks etc.

My possible gig envisages a limited number of online sales, with both the performers and a limited audience (20 max) actually present at an outdoor location, with all people (both performers and audience) 2m distanced at all times.

Thanks for any help interpreting UK law and regs on this.

(one obvious problem that springs to mind is that more than the envisaged number may attend the actual event, including passers by, who may not be inclined or have ticked a box to agree to any code of practice, if a public space is used)

A

(P.S. any answer that says 'you can get away with it' i'm afraid isn't useful for me : )
I need to do things legally, and also correctly in accordance with Covid advice in general, as a matter of personal integrity !!!)
adamotyril
Poster

Re: Live gig and current UK covid regulations.

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:58 pm

From Government website

At this stage, it is not yet safe for live performances, including dramatic, musical or comedy performances, to take place in front of a live audience. This is because of the increased risk of transmission associated with these types of activities or as a result of patrons needing to raise their voices to be heard over background music
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby adamotyril » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:06 pm

Thanks,

That's actually sufficient for me to scrap the proposal.

Plenty of people are bending the advice, but i wont' be.
adamotyril
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:24 pm

As the Wolf says, no, it's not legal yet.... and so any attempt risks being shut down.

The problem is not the socially distanced band members, it's a combination of the gathering of people in a confined space and -- more crucially -- with even moderate volume levels, audience members will tend to talk loudly or shout to converse, vastly increasing the spray of micro-droplets, and also lean in close to each other to be heard. Both significantly increasing the risk of Covid transmission.

This is also the reason pubs have been told to minimise the volume of background music etc.

Covid is still a long way from being over and the risk to life is still high. We are still averaging around 100 deaths and 1000 new cases reported every day due to Covid in the UK.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby adamotyril » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:07 pm

Thanks. Obviously the 'confined space' comment doesn't apply in this proposal, but I take your point.
adamotyril
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:19 pm

adamotyril wrote:Thanks,

That's actually sufficient for me to scrap the proposal.

Plenty of people are bending the advice, but i wont' be.
Best course of action, for a whole host of reasons.

Shame though considering what else is going on, but no point starting a race to the bottom.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...