You are here

Is it normal for mixing engineers to ask for royalty points?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Is it normal for mixing engineers to ask for royalty points?

Postby mrmoon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:03 pm

It's my first time working with a "high-end" audio engineer to mix one of my tracks and they are asking for 2% royalty points and to sign a "deal memo" ahead of a full contract to be drafted by "my attorney". Does this sound normal/typical?

I'm really keen to work with this guy since he has done popular albums I really love but don't want to get cheated right out of the gate. At the same time I think he should get a fair rate, and hey if he's part of the success of the song that it makes enough money to earn something on the royalties then he deserves it! The problem is just now I have the added cost of also hiring an attorney to draft this contract and make sure I keep my rights to the masters and that I agree to and stick to the terms of our royalty payments, all much more complicated then simply paying a fee and getting the mix back.
mrmoon

Re: Is it normal for mixing engineers to ask for royalty points?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:21 pm

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm not going to give an opinion on this as it's outside of my area of expertise but I think you were wise to ask for some input.

We have a number of people on the forum here who know about these things, so I'm sure you'll get some useful input in due course.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Re: Is it normal for mixing engineers to ask for royalty points?

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:47 pm

No - unless you happen to be Dr.Dre.

EDIT - I reread your post and this is a definite case of 'body-swerve!'

I've been in this game a long time and the guy behind the desk is either a real mover and shaker (e.g. Dr.Dre - who is a mega-successful producer) or you pay a regular day-rate.

If you are against the wall, PM me and I'll get you away from the wall. But this screams 'SCAM' at volume-setting 11.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)