You are here

Copyright, and a Deteriorated cassette.

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Copyright, and a Deteriorated cassette.

Postby CS70 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:02 am

innerchord wrote:Anybody else using M-DISC? I burn data files (including WAV, of course) to them. They should be readable for a very long time I am led to believe. I trust them more than my hard disk backups.

I guess you know already, but the claims are that the tech is also based on permanent physical changes on a very stable layer so when properly handled and stored, they should last quite a lot... so they definitely look promising. We'll have to wait the 1000 years to find out. :-D

An important part all these storage media is that - like with CD-R and CD-RW, it's not only the disc that matters, but the equipment used for reading. Many people, without realizing it, physically damage old CD-RS and even CD-R when they first attempt to read them after years because the lasers power levels in the reader aren't properly calibrated or controlled.

CDs being what they are, they suffer much less from these issues. After being written, M-Discs should share a bit of that with CDs, so being more reliable with inexpensive, consumer grade laser readers.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:56 pm

innerchord wrote:
James Perrett wrote:
innerchord wrote:Anybody else using M-DISC?

Have you checked the error rates? Have they changed over time?

No, I've not been using them more than a couple of years. What do you suggest I use to do that?

The classic answer always used to be Plextools with a suitable Plextor drive (assuming you can't afford a dedicated Stagetech or Clover tester). Plextools became a standard in the mastering community and I still use it on the rare occasions I produce a CD-R master.

I've not kept up with developments but there used to be a program called Opti Drive Control that could test error rates with certain non-Plextor drives. There was also a program called K-Probe that worked with Lite-On drives.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:37 pm

:wave:
CS70 wrote:Regular, read-only CDs store information by physically burning the pits and then covering the thing in plastic.

Er... No. A plastic substrate is Injection moulded to create a disc embossed with data pits, and then the embossed surface of that plastic disc is 'sputtered' with a metallic layer which is then protected with a lacquer layer, and finally that lacquer is over-printed with the labelling. There is no burning. (And the glass master used to make the press mould is photo-etched).

So if properly stored (no scratches) it will last practically forever - it's like etching writing in stone and then protecting it from the elements.

Forever is unlikely. But hundred plus years is possible. There were issues in the 80s where the lacquer layer used in a couple of manufacturers broke down in a few years and the metal layer corroded, rendering the disc unplayable. I have a few of those...

If you're looking for longevity, direct metal mastering is a good bet... ;-) but for most of us, storing the audio data in standard, simple file formats (.wav) on multiple independent storage platforms in different locations, that are all regularly backed up is about as reliable as we can get.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous