You are here

PRS Writer - Music Libraries

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

PRS Writer - Music Libraries

Postby Michael's Temple » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm considering registering as a PRS writer. What are people's experiences with PRS?

I'm also looking to get my music onto a music library. Would I be at risk of losing royalties if I was on a music library without registering with PRS?
Michael's Temple

Re: PRS Writer - Music Libraries

Postby MOF » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:12 pm

My understanding of Library music is that the company collects the money and sends you a statement (plus your percentage payment) at six month intervals with a list of how your tracks were used.
Registering for PRS is a good idea anyway if you have published works.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Phil O » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:20 pm

Registation is pretty much essential if you want to receive all monies generated by your work. If you don't, then you will miss out on the performance royalties. These would be retained by PRS as unallocated as they would not have writer / composer info.

As MOF states you would, however, receive the mechanical royalty direct from the library less their share.
Phil O
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:37 pm

As MOF states you would, however, receive the mechanical royalty direct from the library less their share.
It's nearly all 'publishing' when it comes to library music, it's only when a theme tune gets sold as a record that mechanical payments come into play.
MOF
Frequent Poster