You are here

Choosing a genre

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Choosing a genre

Postby RichardT » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:53 pm

Hi all,

I’m releasing some music in September and I was thinking of trying to get some music blogs interested.

But I have a problem: what genre is it?

It’s a kind of mixture of things, elements of electronica, rock, folk and contemporary classical, and a bit of jazz.

I think for the most part, it’s primarily electronic. But when I look into electronic music it’s just a mass of confusing genres none of which I can relate to.

Has anybody else faced this problem? Any advice or thoughts ? It occurred to me I might try prog music blogs as they seem to be open to various genre combinations.

Here’s an example track

https://soundcloud.com/samplehound/the- ... Ordq6kcCAd

R
RichardT
Regular
Samplehound-website My last album sold over a million copies - if you don't believe me, come and look in my garage.

Re: Choosing a genre

Postby The Elf » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:53 pm

We all think we break genres. Mostly we don't. I'd say let a few close friends hear your music and see how they would place it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:03 pm

I'd describe it as ambient with jazz influences for the most part, with a bit of electronica thrown in for good measure :)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby Folderol » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:17 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I'd describe it as ambient with jazz influences for the most part, with a bit of electronica thrown in for good measure :)
So just call it Heinz 57 :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby RichardT » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:28 pm

The Elf wrote:We all think we break genres. Mostly we don't. I'd say let a few close friends hear your music and see how they would place it.

Now that is a very interesting perspective, thanks!
RichardT
Regular
Samplehound-website My last album sold over a million copies - if you don't believe me, come and look in my garage.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:56 pm

It's a great example of why 'genres are crap' :madas: The music business is obsessed with categorising everything and most good modern music is a mix of genres.

I'm not even going to bother trying to list the different influences I hear in this, its good music very well played/recorded/produced. I'll just say I like it.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby RichardT » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:15 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:It's a great example of why 'genres are crap' :madas: The music business is obsessed with categorising everything and most good modern music is a mix of genres.

I'm not even going to bother trying to list the different influences I hear in this, its good music very well played/recorded/produced. I'll just say I like it.

Why thank you!
RichardT
Regular

Postby CS70 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:41 am

RichardT wrote:I’m releasing some music in September and I was thinking of trying to get some music blogs interested.

Whatever genre the specific music blog deals with! :-D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:53 am

This is amazing! Sounds like a lot of things, difficult to pin down, all I know is I’d buy it!
"Ambient Fusion" if you have to pin it down, I hate genres though, and they can be a hinderance rather than a benefit most of the time.
Great music though, let us know how you get on, similar to some stuff I make, but a bit more mainstream.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby RichardT » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:04 am

CS70 wrote:
RichardT wrote:I’m releasing some music in September and I was thinking of trying to get some music blogs interested.

Ah - I see what you’re saying. A bit like customising a CV.
RichardT
Regular

Postby RichardT » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:05 am

Arpangel wrote:This is amazing! Sounds like a lot of things, difficult to pin down, all I know is I’d buy it!
"Ambient Fusion" if you have to pin it down, I hate genres though, and they can be a hinderance rather than a benefit most of the time.
Great music though, let us know how you get on, similar to some stuff I make, but a bit more mainstream.

Thank you very much Arpangel.
RichardT
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:12 am

RichardT wrote:
CS70 wrote:

Ah - I see what you’re saying. A bit like customising a CV.
Alternatively, send it to loads and see who runs with it, then find out what genre they think they talk about... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:02 am

Arpangel wrote:This is amazing! Sounds like a lot of things, difficult to pin down, all I know is I’d buy it!

Same here - this is so refreshingly different, and I'd certainly buy it for my collection.

Personally I get confused by the term fusion, as to me this simply seems to imply a combination of styles without specifically declaring what they are ;)

I like Eddy Deegan's description of ambient jazz, but once the beats come in it's closer to electronica, so overall I'd go with 'ambient jazz electronica', a combo that should hopefully intrigue potential listeners (and bloggers) enough to press the play button to find out more.

Bravo RichardT - love it!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby RichardT » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:10 am

Martin Walker wrote:

Same here - this is so refreshingly different, and I'd certainly buy it for my collection.

Personally I get confused by the term fusion, as to me this simply seems to imply a combination of styles without specifically declaring what they are ;)

I like Eddy Deegan's description of ambient jazz, but once the beats come in it's closer to electronica, so overall I'd go with 'ambient jazz electronica', a combo that should hopefully intrigue potential listeners (and bloggers) enough to press the play button to find out more.

Bravo RichardT - love it!

Martin

Thanks Martin, I like that suggestion! Thanks too for the kind words.
RichardT
Regular

Postby Chet Leeway » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:52 pm

For filing purposes or record shop organization, it clearly belongs in "Electronic music".

Beyond that, it's all about how you want to profile yourself. I'd maybe read through some reviews of Four Tet's music and see if you come across a description you feel comfy with. He's pretty ecletic, but I hear similarities to some of his stuff.
Chet Leeway
Regular

Next