You are here

Am I on the Right Track?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Am I on the Right Track?

Postby Oneal » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:09 pm

Okay guys,

So I have been creating music all year...and now I am ready to start releasing it.

But I want to make sure all my business is clean before I do so...

I am starting my own label as a music producer and basically just signing myself for now. I am working on a compilation album showcasing my production and songwriting with various artists performing on it. (Sort of like a DJ Khaled model)

So far I have registered my LLC with California and next I plan to register with ASCAP as a writer and publisher, register with Songtrust, Tunecore, and SoundExchange.

So should I register as an individual or under my LLC?

Also, where should I register split sheet and collaboration agreements? Because I will have a ton of those.
Oneal
New here
O'Neal
Entegrity Records

Re: Am I on the Right Track?

Postby RichardT » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:36 pm

If you are just releasing your own stuff I’m not sure you need to set up your own label. I’m in the same position as you and I haven’t had to do that (in the UK). It’s possible to release via a distributor without a label. Maybe things are different in the US from a tax perspective. You’ve already done it though so maybe it’s not a problem to go forward with it.

To join a PRO will cost you a fee - I wouldn’t join any until you’re likely to recoup the investment.

Have you done a comparison of distributors before settling on Tunecore? There are many different models and pricing structures.

I would also consider loading up to Soundcloud and Bandcamp.
RichardT
Regular

Re: Am I on the Right Track?

Postby Oneal » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:09 pm

RichardT wrote:If you are just releasing your own stuff I’m not sure you need to set up your own label. I’m in the same position as you and I haven’t had to do that (in the UK). It’s possible to release via a distributor without a label. Maybe things are different in the US from a tax perspective. You’ve already done it though so maybe it’s not a problem to go forward with it.

To join a PRO will cost you a fee - I wouldn’t join any until you’re likely to recoup the investment.

Have you done a comparison of distributors before settling on Tunecore? There are many different models and pricing structures.

I would also consider loading up to Soundcloud and Bandcamp.

:problem:
Oneal
New here
O'Neal
Entegrity Records