You are here

Non Exclusive publishing deals with music libraries and 'Composer for hire' agreements

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Non Exclusive publishing deals with music libraries and 'Composer for hire' agreements

Postby Marco Mastrocola » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:50 am

Is a 'non-exclusive' contract and 'composer for hire' agreement the same thing with regards to it being with a music library?

Do these agreements mean that any music I compose for a music library I can then offer to another library at a later date?
Marco Mastrocola
Regular
Marco Mastrocola Composer Musician Lecturer

Re: Non Exclusive publishing deals with music libraries and 'Composer for hire' agreements

Postby MOF » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:20 am

Library music is in perpetuity. Non exclusive means you can work for other publishers but what you compose for them can’t plagiarise or clone your previous compositions.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Re: Non Exclusive publishing deals with music libraries and 'Composer for hire' agreements

Postby Marco Mastrocola » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:16 pm

MOF wrote:Library music is in perpetuity. Non exclusive means you can work for other publishers but what you compose for them can’t plagiarise or clone your previous compositions.

Are the rules different in the United States? I have found this article
https://www.creativeandproductive.com/e ... exclusive/
which states that with a non-exclusive agreement: "You can sign another non-exclusive agreement with another licensee to shop that same song around to third-parties"
Marco Mastrocola
Regular
Marco Mastrocola Composer Musician Lecturer

Postby CS70 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:33 pm

Marco Mastrocola wrote:Is a 'non-exclusive' contract and 'composer for hire' agreement the same thing with regards to it being with a music library?

No.

Non exclusive means that you retain the copyright of your music and can license the same composition to several libraries.

Composer for hire means that you do not retain the copyright of your work, but give it to the producer who has hired you.

Then the producer can - for example - sign a non exclusive contract with libraries, since the ownership is his/hers.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby MOF » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:41 pm

which states that with a non-exclusive agreement: "You can sign another non-exclusive agreement with another licensee to shop that same song around to third-parties"
Interesting, I didn’t realise you could place the same track with more than one Music Library.
When I worked for a TV company the producers had a choice of just a handful of (major) libraries, they’d audition their LPs and then CDs and I’d copy the tracks onto 1/4” tape for use in dubbing suites. Now the tracks will be stored on servers. I don’t remember any duplication across libraries then.
I’d only heard of non exclusive ‘singles’ deals, with a view to signing longer deals if the single sold well.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby bdaley » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:19 pm

What are some recommendations on libraries or licensing houses to submit my music?
bdaley

Postby ken long » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:53 am

bdaley wrote:What are some recommendations on libraries or licensing houses to submit my music?

De Wolfe, Cavendish, Universal Production Music...
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.