You are here

DeviantArt for Audio

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

DeviantArt for Audio

Postby Primoz56 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:58 pm

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place, but i'm making games and am looking to get some information on audio from people who know what they're talking about. I have a few questions, hope any of you can help.

1. Is there any website for audio engineers/artists to share their work similar to how artists share their images on DeviantArt? I noticed SoundCloud but that seems more for finished products.

2. If I was looking at hiring an audio expert for the purpose of a game, what should I be looking for (experience etc) and how much time is required (roughly) to find/produce all audio for a medium sized game? Would one person be enough or would it only be commission/part time based?

3. If I wanted to have a smooth transition from multiple tracks between each other at almost any point, is that even possible and/or is it extremely hard? What I mean is say you have a music track, and when you enter bossfight you would have a slightly more aggressive/faster version of the same song which would transition within a few chords (transition from middle to middle, not to start).

Thank for taking your time to read this,
Cheers,
Primoz
Primoz56

Re: DeviantArt for Audio

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:19 pm

Hello Primoz and welcome to the forum :)

Although you are covering a few different areas with your queries, I've moved the post to the Music Business forum as it is more orientated around the sorts of issues you are asking for input on. A number of folks here are involved in music commercially and hopefully should be able to provide some useful pointers.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby tomas » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:39 pm

I was intrigued by the idea. Instead of searching through thousands of sound effects and music library songs, how about being able to commission an artist, producer or fx sound designer for a bespoke piece of work? My daughter has been an artist on DeviantArt for about ten years, and now she is also involved in animation and game design. Has she heard of any DeviantSound? Nope.. so, I asked google. Here’s the first hit: https://deviantnoise.com/ ...not quite right, so maybe there is a business idea here?
tomas
Regular
cheers, t-:

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:47 pm

Hi Primoz56, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

Primoz56 wrote:3. If I wanted to have a smooth transition from multiple tracks between each other at almost any point, is that even possible and/or is it extremely hard? What I mean is say you have a music track, and when you enter bossfight you would have a slightly more aggressive/faster version of the same song which would transition within a few chords (transition from middle to middle, not to start).

I used to write music for games years ago, and what you're referring to here is an 'interactive' music score. It can certainly be done, but requires a lot of thought during the composition stage to come up with riffs/phrases that can be neatly 'joined together' as the game mood changes. The shorter the phrase, the quicker the musical reaction to an imminent boss can be.

Sometimes it can be easier to perform a quick fade-out of the current music track, and then have an obvious start to a completely different 'boss tune'. This could ramp up the tension for the player as soon as the music begins its fade, because you then know that something major is about to happen ;)

Hope this helps!

Martin
Martin Walker