You are here

Are frequency snapshots of copyrighted songs copyrighted?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Are frequency snapshots of copyrighted songs copyrighted?

Postby torninja » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:16 pm

Could you legally sell impulse files that were created by taking frequency snapshots of someone else's recording?

For example; making a cab sim impulse file of a snapshot taken from rock/metal when only the guitar is playing is fairly common, and these are shared online as public domain. Is that technically legal, and if so, could you even sell them commercially?
torninja
New here

Re: Are frequency snapshots of copyrighted songs copyrighted?

Postby blinddrew » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:44 pm

Copyright laws are tricksy beasts, but in general, there are two copyrights on recorded music. There's one on the composition, and one on the recording.
I struggle to see how creating some kind of frequency response snapshot would infringe, but, and it's a very big but, you may have to prove it in court. And in such a case it might come down to who has the biggest bank balance and the better lawyers.
But equally, I struggle to see how any kind of frequency response of a whole song would really be any use? It'll probably just resemble pink noise for anything instrumental or pink noise with a bit of a bulge around 5-7k for anything vocal heavy I'd have thought.
I suspect I may not be understanding your question correctly though.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby N i g e l » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:28 am

....from rock/metal when only the guitar is playing.....

so as long as the guitarist plays enough notes, covering a wide enough frequency range, a graph of the guitar system frequency response could be interpolated.
that would be the combined frequency response of every thing in the chain from guitar to cabinet + any EQ or mastering on the recording.

no idea about copyright !
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:18 am

torninja wrote:Could you legally sell impulse files that were created by taking frequency snapshots of someone else's recording?

For example; making a cab sim impulse file of a snapshot taken from rock/metal when only the guitar is playing is fairly common, and these are shared online as public domain. Is that technically legal, and if so, could you even sell them commercially?

My $.1 guess is that the rule of thumb is whether or not they can be recognized as a final product in a blind test - and how you go about marketing them, to avoid infringing trademarks etc. Same reason for which lots of emulators do emulate very well known amplifiers but do not refer to them by name.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby John Egan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:37 am

torninja wrote:Could you legally sell impulse files that were created by taking frequency snapshots of someone else's recording?

How would you market them, and what would one do with them ?
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby torninja » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:32 pm

Thanks for the responses, I see I need to clarify something. Impulse files for cab sims are widely popular online, and many of them stem from frequency snapshots done on guitar parts on copyrighted songs. I'm developing products for people who mix metal, and I'm interested whether such impulses marked "public domain" are in fact that, and if so, can they be commercially sold? There is definitely a market, but is it legal? Yes, it's a tricky one.
torninja
New here

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:45 pm

If you create the impulse response yourself, it doesn't matter what is the source - just like the producer of the paper on which you write a novel doesn't matter for the ownership of the novel. So yeah so long whoever has made the impulse file has created it himself, and has decided to put in the public domain, it will be in the public domain.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby RichardT » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:48 pm

torninja wrote:Thanks for the responses, I see I need to clarify something. Impulse files for cab sims are widely popular online, and many of them stem from frequency snapshots done on guitar parts on copyrighted songs. I'm developing products for people who mix metal, and I'm interested whether such impulses marked "public domain" are in fact that, and if so, can they be commercially sold? There is definitely a market, but is it legal? Yes, it's a tricky one.

I think you should get a legal opinion if you’re going to make a business out of it.
RichardT
Regular

Postby desmond » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:36 pm

torninja wrote:I'm developing products for people who mix metal, and I'm interested whether such impulses marked "public domain" are in fact that, and if so, can they be commercially sold? There is definitely a market, but is it legal?

So... you want to download a bunch of stuff that other people have created, create a product based upon that downloaded stuff as a fundamental part, and sell it like it was your own?

For me, I'd be thinking about whether it was *ethical*, before I investigated whether it was legal, but... :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio