You are here

Pitching songs - snippets or complete tracks ?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Pitching songs - snippets or complete tracks ?

Postby sophiazz » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:59 am

When pitching titles, does the team think one should send entire tracks, or just snippets (by which I mean 1 verse + chorus, the first 90 seconds etc, or perhaps that fab 'catchy chorus'...) ?

Opinions of those on the receiving end especially welcome
sophiazz

Re: Pitching songs - snippets or complete tracks ?

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:16 pm

Hi sophiazz, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

Not sure what you mean by 'pitching titles' - are you primarily trying to promote lyrics or songs?

If it's songs with lyrics then I doubt that anyone would be happy to receive anything but the entire thing. After all, even if they love what they hear in 'the first 90 seconds', the chances of them taking the trouble to contact you so they can hear the rest are probably minimal.

If you make their lives really easy I suspect by letting them hear the whole song they will be more likely to get back to you ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Re: Pitching songs - snippets or complete tracks ?

Postby RichardT » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:47 pm

sophiazz wrote:When pitching titles, does the team think one should send entire tracks, or just snippets (by which I mean 1 verse + chorus, the first 90 seconds etc, or perhaps that fab 'catchy chorus'...) ?

Opinions of those on the receiving end especially welcome

A reason for sending parts of tracks would be if you’re putting together a ‘showreel’ type medley to show off your past work. Otherwise I think it’s better to send the whole thing. Certainly if you pitch via Submithub you need the full track and the blogs etc I have approached directly also wanted full tracks. In the notes you send with your tracks you can highlight parts that you want them to listen to.
RichardT
Regular