You are here

Money from Soundcloud?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Money from Soundcloud?

Postby Stickman0_3 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:41 pm

Can I claim royalties from Soundcloud if my music has been streamed and/or downloaded?
Stickman0_3
Regular

Re: Money from Soundcloud?

Postby MOF » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:48 pm

A quick internet search tells me that you need to sign up to ‘Premier’ and have 5000 plays/downloads(?) in the previous month.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/9/1795 ... ze-program
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:09 pm

I'm not sure that's still up to date MOF. They've recently bought 'Repost' and the model has changed. I did ask about minimum qualifying criteria (e.g. number of plays) and received a very unconvincing response that didn't seem to answer the question.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby MOF » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:07 am

I’ve just looked at Sound Cloud’s own site, there’s no mention of how you can monetise your track blinddrew, they’re not ‘selling the sizzle’ to me, a very stark (minimalist) website too.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby RichardT » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:59 am

MOF wrote:I’ve just looked at Sound Cloud’s own site, there’s no mention of how you can monetise your track blinddrew, they’re not ‘selling the sizzle’ to me, a very stark (minimalist) website too.

If you edit the track, you will see a ‘monetization’ tab, if you’re able to monetise it. I don’t know what happens if you select that, though!
RichardT
Regular

Postby MOF » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:33 pm

If you edit the track, you will see a ‘monetization’ tab, if you’re able to monetise it. I don’t know what happens if you select that, though!
You’re probably right, but you shouldn’t have to faff around to get such basic information.
Sound Cloud should have a clear set of conditions for monetising content. It’s a bit like ‘POA’, unless I’m really interested in a product and there’s no one else advertising a similar product and its cost then I just go elsewhere.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby SVR » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:37 pm

Your distributor might have an option. I have been getting paid for SoundCloud streams for a few years, My profile is "whitelisted" and tied into my distributor and I get paid through them. I also see the streams show up in my PRO as a songwriter.

Not all Distributors work with Soundcloud monetization
SVR