You are here

Money from Soundcloud?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Money from Soundcloud?

Postby Stickman0_3 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:41 pm

Can I claim royalties from Soundcloud if my music has been streamed and/or downloaded?
Stickman0_3
Regular

Re: Money from Soundcloud?

Postby MOF » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:48 pm

A quick internet search tells me that you need to sign up to ‘Premier’ and have 5000 plays/downloads(?) in the previous month.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/9/1795 ... ze-program
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:09 pm

I'm not sure that's still up to date MOF. They've recently bought 'Repost' and the model has changed. I did ask about minimum qualifying criteria (e.g. number of plays) and received a very unconvincing response that didn't seem to answer the question.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby MOF » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:07 am

I’ve just looked at Sound Cloud’s own site, there’s no mention of how you can monetise your track blinddrew, they’re not ‘selling the sizzle’ to me, a very stark (minimalist) website too.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby RichardT » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:59 am

MOF wrote:I’ve just looked at Sound Cloud’s own site, there’s no mention of how you can monetise your track blinddrew, they’re not ‘selling the sizzle’ to me, a very stark (minimalist) website too.

If you edit the track, you will see a ‘monetization’ tab, if you’re able to monetise it. I don’t know what happens if you select that, though!
RichardT
Regular

Postby MOF » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:33 pm

If you edit the track, you will see a ‘monetization’ tab, if you’re able to monetise it. I don’t know what happens if you select that, though!
You’re probably right, but you shouldn’t have to faff around to get such basic information.
Sound Cloud should have a clear set of conditions for monetising content. It’s a bit like ‘POA’, unless I’m really interested in a product and there’s no one else advertising a similar product and its cost then I just go elsewhere.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby SVR » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:37 pm

Your distributor might have an option. I have been getting paid for SoundCloud streams for a few years, My profile is "whitelisted" and tied into my distributor and I get paid through them. I also see the streams show up in my PRO as a songwriter.

Not all Distributors work with Soundcloud monetization
SVR

Postby hasser964 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:49 am

If you're signed up to Soundcloud premier you can monetise your tracks. I think Soundcloud premier is open to all now for £10/month & it's definitely worth it for all the insights you get with it. Also the replacing files after upload is alone worth it IMO.

Distribute your music through soundcloud repost network and apply for monetisation through there for your soundcloud tracks. They will then take a bit to get approved, but once they are you're smooth sailing!

Also Soundcloud has had a higher pay out rate/stream for me than any of the other streaming services, so it might be something worth looking into yourself to see if it's the same for everyone?

I had 0.033/stream instead of the 0.025 from Spotify and even less from Apple.

Good luck and any help you need, just reply to this!
hasser964
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:36 pm

So you only need 30,000 streams a month to cover the cost of membership :shock: better to invest the money in lottery tickets...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:45 pm

hasser964 wrote:If you're signed up to Soundcloud premier you can monetise your tracks. I think Soundcloud premier is open to all now for £10/month & it's definitely worth it for all the insights you get with it. Also the replacing files after upload is alone worth it IMO.

Distribute your music through soundcloud repost network and apply for monetisation through there for your soundcloud tracks. They will then take a bit to get approved, but once they are you're smooth sailing!

Also Soundcloud has had a higher pay out rate/stream for me than any of the other streaming services, so it might be something worth looking into yourself to see if it's the same for everyone?

I had 0.033/stream instead of the 0.025 from Spotify and even less from Apple.

Good luck and any help you need, just reply to this!
Does soundcloud still require a minimum number of monthly plays to use the monetisation or has that gone now they've moved to Repost?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...