You are here

what is my path for success in USA?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

what is my path for success in USA?

Postby Adam Artman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:13 am

Hello to my all friends at here.I have many questions about success way in music industry in United State.

acually I'm from a country in Asia.I wanna come to USA for reaching to my dreams in music production.my problem is I don't know what should I do for it and for success in working with big USA artists. I heard this sentences that if you wanna work with big USA artist you should have big community with others.
I don't know how can I do it,i don't know which city of America should I go and live and make community.I have to go to the USA alone without parents or another one.I'm single and I'm 29 years.
my other problem is I love be music producer that can write songs but my language is not English.of curse I'm learning English cause I need to TOEFL test if I wanna get VISA.

I registered Green Card Lottery and If I get it I can go to the united state,if not I think should register in music production schools and get VISA for it.
but I don't know it works or not,i mean is about going to music production school for my goal.

what do you think about it?what should I do to reach my goal and can work as music producer and song writer with big artists?
thank you so much
Adam Artman
Poster

Re: what is my path for success in USA?

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:16 am

Hello!

As this is a UK-based site, most - but by no means all - of the contributors are from the UK/Europe. There are some from the USA, but not so many.

You've told us about what you want to do in the future, but what can you do now?

Have you a proven history of already doing this sort of thing?

What musical instruments do you play? What level have you reached with them?

Have you written songs that have been published?

Have you written songs that have have been issued as recordings?

What success have you had with your songs?

What experience do you have of working in studios or with 'professional' audio gear?

Have you done any training linked to your dreams?

You're wanting to get into a very, very tough industry with very few openings. In simple terms, you don't go looking for 'them', 'they' come looking for you. Many people have hopes and dreams of making it in some way in the music business. Very few actually achieve that.

Build-up your experience of song-writing, recording and publishing where you are. Make your songs available through one of the streaming services. Improve your English. Try and get some formal qualifications linked to what you want to do.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:42 am

Adam Artman wrote:what do you think about it?what should I do to reach my goal and can work as music producer and song writer with big artists?
thank you so much

As with any field, don't think there's a recipe.. but there's a bunch of things that work for any field, and I suspect they may work for music as well. As a note, for each of the things below you'll find counterexamples - a final result of "success" (whatever that means for you) has many paths to it.. it's only a question of which paths are easier or not.

The basic idea is that it boils down to two things: be really good at what you do, and let other people know about it. In short, knowledge and networking. The latter increases your chances of getting in the right situation. The former increase the chances that you can do something out of the right situation.

One of your main assets is the fact that you're single and 29: no family life constraints means you can put down the time to learn and network.

That you've gotta be good at what you do is a given: always compare your work with the best and don't indulge in self delusion. You've got to recognize BS "knowledge" and avoid it.. an easy way is to not accept any "magic".. if you don't understand something in its detail, suspend your judgement until you do. If you're shrewd enough, you can sometimes use other people's BS to your advantage.. but that's between you and your mirror.

However, don't dismiss your skills and be self-deprecating.. that never helps. Get good, get better, do stuff, repeat.

You've gotta keep the energy and motivation: in the short term, that won't come from results (quality, financial etc) but from the fun of actually doing the stuff. If you have fun while doing it, anything is easy.

Be nice. In a field which is very competitive but ultimately not objective, others will choose you because they like you. It's as simple as that. The alternative is that they chose you because you're filthy rich and/or connected and they hope to get an advantage from the relationship with you.. but if you were all that, I don't think you'd be making the question :D.

Also, as sad as it is, keep in mind the cultural attitudes prevalent in the place you wanna go. Some places will be more or less foreign-friendly or even asian-friendly. As unfair and unjust as it is, it's a factor and you want to consider that - without, of course, letting a little opposition scare you. There always be some as***les around.. just make sure that you go where they aren't the majority.

Keep in mind that certain cultures expect you to be more or less overt about what you want and who you are. Some are more shouty and conflictual, with some you have to read more between the lines. One advantage of being a foreigner - I speak by experience - is that you can often ignore all that much more than a native. Just don't be an a***ole, that doesn't work anywhere, even in the US.

That given, find where the action is, go there and don't be shy. This can be the biggest roadblock for some. You've got to work.. mingle, got to places, make friends, let people know what you do.. do a lot of that (you start to understand why 29 and single is useful...). When you're doing all that because it's fun it's easy and natural. It's possible to do it because you want to become rich and famous, but much harder.

Sometimes people advise to give oneself a deadline ("if I don't reach this and this objective by this and this time, I'll stop"). I personally think it's BS, imho life doesn't work like that at all. But remember: every single day, you have to eat and sleep somewhere warm, so u need to be able to pay your bills at any time. That mostly means keeping the bills as small as possible. 29 and single helps with that. But if you see that you can't or don't manage... you may need to reconsider, or find a way to fix that.

So, the US. For the reasons above, you definitely want an environment where music is a big thing, there's a large crowd of potential collaborators and customers and network. Of course, everybody thinks the same, so there'll also be a lot of competition. It can be Nashville, it can be LA, it can be NYC, depending of the specifics of what you do.. and that's what you want to think about a bit more (at least, more than you say here). Different networks may value different things in different ways.

Schools are a traditional and well tested way to create a network and some offer facilities where the enthusiast can get to play with stuff that he/she couldn't otherwise.. on the other side they cost money.. there's pro and cons. Unlike other fields, in music and audio most "schools" don't really give you much in terms of recognition, and even a great one may give you zero cred in certain environments. If you have the money, it's not a bad place to start.

Another classic way is to find a low-level job and proceed from there.. another again is to start advertising your business and gather customers that way. These days (if there ever were different days), the jobs are few and the competition large, so it's not an easy way.

They all may or may not work, it depends on both you and random circumstances.. but "be pleasant, be damn good, meet people" is a combo that works most of the time.

And, of course, wear sunscreen.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby RichardT » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:13 pm

Adam Artman wrote:Hello to my all friends at here.I have many questions about success way in music industry in United State.

acually I'm from a country in Asia.I wanna come to USA for reaching to my dreams in music production.my problem is I don't know what should I do for it and for success in working with big USA artists. I heard this sentences that if you wanna work with big USA artist you should have big community with others.
I don't know how can I do it,i don't know which city of America should I go and live and make community.I have to go to the USA alone without parents or another one.I'm single and I'm 29 years.
my other problem is I love be music producer that can write songs but my language is not English.of curse I'm learning English cause I need to TOEFL test if I wanna get VISA.

I registered Green Card Lottery and If I get it I can go to the united state,if not I think should register in music production schools and get VISA for it.
but I don't know it works or not,i mean is about going to music production school for my goal.

what do you think about it?what should I do to reach my goal and can work as music producer and song writer with big artists?
thank you so much

It’s a great goal, but not an easy one to reach.

The first thing to do is to develop your skills. You don’t need to go to music production college to do that, though it would help you on your way. The main thing is to create and produce finished material again and again. I sometimes tell myself ‘you can’t be good without being bad’ - in other words, there’s no way to produce good work without going through the stage of being bad at it first. As well as repetition, you need learning - take online or face-to-face courses, read magazines, read books and practice what they tell you. This will take a long time - but that’s ok. Feedback also helps - and there are lots of websites these days where you can get this.

The second thing is to work with others on joint projects. You will learn so much and you’ll develop collaboration and organisational skills, and contacts.

The third thing is to develop your network. The only way to do this is to start at the bottom! When you have some material you think is good enough to release, release it and learn to promote it. There are so many ways to do that these days - building your own website, using social media, YouTube, forums, SubmitHub and so on, but you also need to develop to face to face relationships by playing live if you can. You will have to keep doing this, it’s not just a one-time effort.

Do you need to go to the States to do this? I’d only suggest going to the US if you have a reliable way of supporting yourself there in a non-musical field, and can learn to speak English fluently. Otherwise you will be almost certain to fail.

Good luck!
RichardT
Regular

Postby Adam Artman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:46 pm

My big chance is that I found best friends like you guys.thanks you so much for your complete answers. you know,actually my country is limited in music cause for laws of my country and I'm sorry for myself that I borned here cause my country government is like this.
on the other hand I love English language and it's international language.we have not international and big star in my country.they work on music styles and other language that I don't like them.
for this reason I decided go to USA.about paying in USA,I saved money cause I worked hard from when I was teen.of curse my father can support me till I find my job in music that I love.
my plane is going to USA and having a home studio but professional for improve myself.
according to my search and looking up on the internet or some people,I should be in place that there is music.every where I look be music.
I'm working on my English language hardly.
you know,i lose my life times cause I didn't go right way in music.music teaching in my country is so much weak,especially in Electronic music production.
I never married cause I knew if I marriage can't spend my more times on music and I can't reach to this my goal and it's real.
Adam Artman
Poster