You are here

how much is important Artist name?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

how much is important Artist name?

Postby Adam Artman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Hello to All and i hope you have great day/night.
i wanna know how much is important having artist name?you know,actually i think my name is not suitable as an artist name.
Adam Artman is my fake name cause i liked that world tune.My real name Is Mohmmed Adhami.I'm not Arab but my name sound's like that.I wanna choose a appropriate artist name for myself but it's a big challenge for me now cause i wanna release my music on social media that people knows me and my work with my artist name.
please help me if you can.

thanks a lot
Adam Artman
Poster

Re: how much is important Artist name?

Postby CS70 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:07 pm

You will be far from the first artist changing their name for whatever reason. Nothing to worry about, the beauty of art is that you can be whoever you want.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby RichardT » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:12 pm

Adam Artman seems ok to me.
RichardT
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:32 pm

...yes, I'm wondering if it's the first name this user has adopted on the forum, but it's as good as any...
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:33 pm

There's nothing wrong with 'Adam Artman' as a name. I think it's quite good actually :)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Adam Artman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:45 pm

Wow really??! yeah cause my family name is Adhami I decided use ADAM words to make it.

I hope It works when people want remember my artist name.

I'm so much happy to finding this website that gave to me you guys as my best freinds.

thanks alot.
Adam Artman
Poster

Postby Adam Artman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:49 pm

what do you think about shorter names like J cole,Kygo,weeknd,50 cents and others like these?
i wanna know how these names came to those artist mind.what inspiration them took to choose these names.
what is your opinion?
Adam Artman
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:02 pm

If you have the product people will remember your name.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:10 pm

Yep, I suspect any statistical analysis of band names will show you absolutely no correlation with success.
There are some sensible things to check (domain name availability, similarity with existing acts, search engine confusion etc), but aside from that it doesn't make a difference.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Adam Artman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:19 am

thanks a lot for your answers..
you know,for example Adam Artman that i choosed sound's nice to me but when i search it on the google it show other man with Adam Artman name and it has Twitter account like @adamartman and this twitter name was my choose but he got it already.
Adam Artman
Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:25 am

blinddrew wrote:Yep, I suspect any statistical analysis of band names will show you absolutely no correlation with success.
There are some sensible things to check (domain name availability, similarity with existing acts, search engine confusion etc), but aside from that it doesn't make a difference.

"Absolutely no correlation with success" is a great band name!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ore_terra » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:34 am

agree in absolutely no correlation with success, but I think there's some correlation with lack of it :mrgreen:

I'm mean great acts with terrible names are less likely to success
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:28 am

Whoever thought of 'Beatles'.... sheer genius.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:30 am

I disagree with much of the above - a killer name that one cannot get out of one's head can mean the difference between success and failure. The classic example is Englebert Humperdink.

Arnold Dorsey had great management and a fantastic voice. He was the right man at the right time to fill that crooner slot for lonely grannies (orf whoever buys that stuff) but as Arnold Dorsey, his career was going nowhere fast. For ten years he got nowhere.

Then his manager and old friend Gordon Mills suggested a name change to something people would always remember and Englebert was born!

And that can work the other way about as well - a great name gets dumped in favour of a crap name and the act fails - A band came into our studio called something or other and I cannot remember what the hell they were called. The singer (who's name I do remember) was great. The songs were killer! The musicianship was spot-on.

They started in school together and told me that they had been quite a local success. Kids traveled a long way just to see them - and then they told me that they were formerly known as the band Snodgrass.

Yes, I'd heard of them - wow! But they had really made the grade as a terrific local band obviously destined for greater things - but that was the name of their maths teacher and he had pleaded with them to change their name to something else.

The recordings were great and I alerted Sony and there was a bit of a bidding war over them. Some indi label got them because they agreed that they could keep their name. The A&R guy from the local Sony office was adamant that they go back to being 'Snodgrass' so they went with the (rather dishonest) indie label. A six-figure sum was put into them and they did a couple of tours of America. They got nowhere. All of them left the music biz for obscurity.

That was a long, long time ago - but it teaches us all a salutory lesson. Names are important. If a name fails to stick in the memory, so will you!

After writing all the above, I have just asked mysef if I could remember the name of the original poster - I could not and I had to scroll back to see what it was. It has therefore failed already to pass the first hurdle!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Chet Leeway » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:40 am

The only problem I can see with Adam Artman is the character "Cartman" from the 90s cartoon series South Park. But associations will always spring up no matter which name you choose.

With characteristic lack of imagination, Kygo simply took the first syllables in his unpronounceable real name. If Bob Dylan had done that he'd be Rozi. Elton John would be Reke. So better use your imagination.

Recent artist/label name controversies suggest you should avoid the words "dixie", "antebellum", "black", "negro" and "indian".
Chet Leeway
Regular

Next