You are here

Moving Country - Needing Advice

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Moving Country - Needing Advice

Postby The Coastal Path » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:43 pm

I brought all my studio gear and 20+ expensive guitars back to the UK last year from Toronto. I really didn't have any problems at all - if you use a decent company, they will pack everything for you. I had a couple of Gibsons, Gretsch and Rickenbacker guitars, along with the usual computers and studio gear. Some it was bought in Canada, some I had shipped there when I moved from London in 2014. No issues in either direction, and even my acoustics were transported without problem - or hard cases. They just boxed them up like everything else. I was confident enough on the way back to not even bother with insurance.

If you are shipping household stuff too, the most reassuring way to do it is have your own container: they load it and lock it in front of you. Unless customs want to inspect it in the UK, then it won't be opened again until it is at your door in the UK.

I might also add I didn't pay any tax in either direction, although my container was inspected by customs in the UK. The shipping cost was a tiny fraction of selling the equipment and starting over.
The Coastal Path
Regular
The Coastal Path

Postby Daan30 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:59 pm

That's amazing that you didn't have to pay anything. I feel more encouraged. I would really like to avoid having to sell any of my gear.
Daan30
Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:29 am

Daan30 wrote:That's amazing that you didn't have to pay anything. I feel more encouraged. I would really like to avoid having to sell any of my gear.

You must do as you think best Daan but do remember the voltage issue?

You do not want a gang of 230-115 transformers littering the floor or even one big mother!

Dave (see! LOT to be said for the humble wall rat/line lump!)
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Coastal Path » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:07 am

ef37a wrote:
Daan30 wrote:That's amazing that you didn't have to pay anything. I feel more encouraged. I would really like to avoid having to sell any of my gear.

You must do as you think best Daan but do remember the voltage issue?

You do not want a gang of 230-115 transformers littering the floor or even one big mother!

Dave (see! LOT to be said for the humble wall rat/line lump!)

I brought lots of gear I purchased in Canada back to the UK. Nearly everything these days uses wall-wart transformers. If you check them closely, you will see nearly all accept voltages from 110 - 240, and can be safely used with UK plug adaptors. For anything that needs 120v, you can buy a single hefty step-down transformer from Amazon for around UKP40, and that should supply all the ampage you need - very little studio gear draws much current, but you should allow double whatever you calculate you will require.

I have around 30 pieces of rack mount gear, keyboards etc and none of it needs a transformer (everything uses wall-wart adaptors), although I did use my UK monitors and guitar amps in Canada with a step-up transformer with no issues at all.
The Coastal Path
Regular
The Coastal Path

Previous