You are here

Not a lot of band stuff, I guess.

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Not a lot of band stuff, I guess.

Postby musicista vecchio » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:28 pm

As a relatively recent participant in this forum, I notice that we cover an awful lot of territory in the realm of electronic music and relatively little in the realm of live playing bands.

There is also little discussion in the realm of organic instruments--strings, reeds, brass, percussion, et al.

That's fine. That's the type of forum that this apparently is.

When one gets to a certain age, one discovers that while he/she may still reside on this side of the grass, the actual world in which one experienced his / her prime no longer exists.

I'm sure that this isn't new. This is probably how it's always been throughout human history.

But we rarely see this discussed as we go through life, so even though it's probably always existed, it still manages to catch us a little bit by surprise.

I lived in a world where ten guys wearing suits and playing things like trumpets and baritone saxophones entertained live audiences from the perch of a bandstand.

We started as bar bands, and as that world subsided, we became function bands, and now, we're just a bunch of seniors who remember how much fun it was to play music for people having fun.

The changes have landed on the major international acts as much on as us local, or at most, regional, musicians as well. Digital recording and then streaming have pretty much ended the era of music on hard media like LPs and tapes and compact discs. Things just change...as they've always changed.

Be more ready than I was.
musicista vecchio
Poster

Re: Not a lot of band stuff, I guess.

Postby BJG145 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:01 pm

musicista vecchio wrote:I lived in a world where ten guys wearing suits and playing things like trumpets and baritone saxophones entertained live audiences from the perch of a bandstand.

I was all about people playing saxophones and perching on bandstands until March. I'm not expecting to return to that scene before summer 2021 now though. I'm sure plenty of others on the forum are also waiting impatiently for the opportunity to play gigs again. I've had people discussing socially distanced rehearsals and Zoom, but I think I'll leave it.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby RichardT » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:53 pm

BJG145 wrote:
musicista vecchio wrote:I lived in a world where ten guys wearing suits and playing things like trumpets and baritone saxophones entertained live audiences from the perch of a bandstand.

I was all about people playing saxophones and perching on bandstands until March. I'm not expecting to return to that scene before summer 2021 now though. I'm sure plenty of others on the forum are also waiting impatiently for the opportunity to play gigs again. I've had people discussing socially distanced rehearsals and Zoom, but I think I'll leave it.

I certainly am waiting for that - I play in a big band who have done a fair amount of perching on bandstands!
RichardT
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:04 pm

In many ways C-19, and the wider changes to the music industry have made no difference to my band.
We couldn't get gigs before and we still can't now. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:46 am

I shall be writing a bladdertorial on what is coming down the line - and trust me, the C19 crisis ain't nuffin compared to what is going to happen over the next few years when the dollar loses its reserve currency status.

That will have an enormous effect on every aspect of our lives - not just people making music!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)