You are here

Spotify white noise

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Spotify white noise

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:40 pm

Going back to the original point about white noise for a moment, the vexing thing is that because Spotify operates a proportional payout (not a per-stream payout), this is taking cash from actual music.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:14 pm

Indeed, which was the reason for which I posted it here.

Can't believe they let pass such an obvious scam! And the album has apparently millions of listens, so the money involved starts to be more than a cappuccino and croissant, so to say.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby N i g e l » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:02 am

blinddrew wrote:.... taking cash from actual music.

The noise track genre is a perfectly valid art form/sonic tool !
note: that the article uses "white noise" as a non technical term including fans, ocean waves, etc.

I have a self-composed noise track in my audio player. Pink noise from audacity & a few bass peaks added in Cakewalk. ~60s long, it loops very well indeed.
Ideal for use for sleep, masking tinitus or working in open plan offices.

Ideal for monetizing too as its short & used on repeat, day after day. Wish Id thought of that !
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:14 am

N i g e l wrote:The noise track genre is a perfectly valid art form/sonic tool !

It's also a perfectly valid form of bs. :lol:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:16 am

N i g e l wrote:I have a self-composed noise track in my audio player. Pink noise from audacity & a few bass peaks added in Cakewalk. ~60s long, it loops very well indeed.
But you have put some measure of creative process in there at least, as does most of the 'noise music' crowd.
But I really should have read the article properly - but it's hard to do when you're reading round an adblocker banner... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby BigRedX » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:00 pm

I suppose a similar concept with regard to Royalties as Vulfpeck's "Sleepify" album.

And I wish I had thought of it first as well.

I also own an electronic album on CD which is essentially 40 minutes of an extremely slowly pitch and timbre modulated bass drone.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby N i g e l » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:21 pm

blinddrew wrote:But you have put some measure of creative process in there at least, as does most of the 'noise music' crowd.

hmmm maybe my "Generate > noise > pink, 00h01m00.00s" has some creativity, perhaps more than an album version : "Generate > noise > pink, 01h14m00.00s" but less than say mic'ing the sound of rain on a caravan roof or pressing GO on a multi feedback modular patch. :)
Its beginning to sound like there is some work ethic or "struggle" required !

In the early days of downloading, when tracks were 99p & full albums £5, the track per side brigade [prog rock, rambling german electronic, etc] were at a financial disadvantage.

BigRedX wrote:I also own an electronic album on CD which is essentially 40 minutes of an extremely slowly pitch and timbre modulated bass drone.

I have a CD of blue whale noises. In the days of casette or CD you didnt need a search engine, just go straight to the bargin bin.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:03 pm

N i g e l wrote:Its beginning to sound like there is some work ethic or "struggle" required !
Nope, but for there to be a copyright there has to be a creative aspect to the piece. No creativity, no copyright. Dems de rules.
So likewise, me just sticking a mic up in the shed on a rainy day = no copyright. Add some slow modulating drones and whales noises = copyright.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Previous