You are here

who should i use to release my music on spotify etc

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: who should i use to release my music on spotify etc

Postby MarkOne » Mon May 17, 2021 5:46 pm

I use AWAL. They get paid by taking a cut of everyone's music (Which in my case is a cut of a few milli-cents a month :lol:

They do have a fairly long review process before sending the stuff on to the music platforms, but on the up-side it means that a real person does listen to the release for quality purposes and they do get back to you if there are issues with the file, the artwork or the little obscure things that Apple Music and Spotify have in their release guidelines, like capitalisation of words in titles, etc) and apparently if they really like what they hear they get back to you with some kind of promotional plan/package (Not in the case of somewhat obscure prog-rock though it seems!!! :tongue: )

I have only good things to say about them. Their customer support is excellent
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby BigRedX » Tue May 18, 2021 12:04 pm

MarkOne wrote:I use AWAL. They get paid by taking a cut of everyone's music (Which in my case is a cut of a few milli-cents a month :lol:

They do have a fairly long review process before sending the stuff on to the music platforms, but on the up-side it means that a real person does listen to the release for quality purposes and they do get back to you if there are issues with the file, the artwork or the little obscure things that Apple Music and Spotify have in their release guidelines, like capitalisation of words in titles, etc) and apparently if they really like what they hear they get back to you with some kind of promotional plan/package (Not in the case of somewhat obscure prog-rock though it seems!!! :tongue: )

I have only good things to say about them. Their customer support is excellent

The capitalisation of words has caused problems with some bands I've been in when it comes to having your music on the various streaming and download sites. CD Baby simply would not allow capitalisation anywhere in a song title except for the first letter of each word, which means that very few of The Terrortones song titles are rendered properly on iTunes or Spotify as they nearly all have a words that run together with capital letters in the middle to separate them. However Bandcamp don't have such restrictions, so the titles are rendered correctly there.

And what do Apple Music do about J-Pop bands where the song titles can be a mixture of Kaji, Hiragana, Katakana, Romanji with seemingly random use of upper and lower case, plus symbols and punctuation used as graphic elements?
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby MarkOne » Tue May 18, 2021 3:41 pm

And what do Apple Music do about J-Pop bands where the song titles can be a mixture of Kaji, Hiragana, Katakana, Romanji with seemingly random use of upper and lower case, plus symbols and punctuation used as graphic elements?

No idea. It's probably all in here somewhere: https://help.apple.com/itc/musicstyleguide/en.lproj/static.html#itcb0e305d3b

Who knew there were so many requirements?
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 18, 2021 5:17 pm

Just as an update, once I'd got the artwork sorted, the Ditto process has been smooth.
But their online problem ticket thing is still rubbish. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby BigRedX » Tue May 18, 2021 5:22 pm

MarkOne wrote:No idea. It's probably all in here somewhere: https://help.apple.com/itc/musicstyleguide/en.lproj/static.html#itcb0e305d3b

Who knew there were so many requirements?

As it says in the first line of that section "This section applies to titles in English only." Of course it doesn't say what happens with foreign language artists that use English for their song titles.

While it's good to have a style, and it's certainly helps my OCD, it doesn't help those bands that deliberately stretch the English language to artistic ends.

Also I notice that one of the examples given as a guide is technically wrong: In "Kill 'Em n' Grill 'Em" the "n" should have an apostrophe both before and after it to indicate the missing "a" and "d".

In our case it looks as though the restrictions were put in place by CD Baby rather than the the streaming and download services themselves.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby TheLegit » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:11 pm

You should definitely have a solid read of 'Ari's Take', from that went for CD Baby and the track was on Spotify/ I-Tunes etc within a week (that said I paid for the 'Pro' $29.95 per track.

The only other one I tried was OneRpm who wanted me to upload my photo and all sorts for security,plus their site wasn't working properly for uploads in the end I cancelled and requested a refund (this was about £7 for a ringtone upload), they never got back to me after repeated contacts and even my account and login disappeared. Nightmare
TheLegit
Regular

Postby Hexo » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:26 pm

soundesigner wrote:...The company called Rehegoo Music approached me a few years ago offering a deal...
Can I have a question here? How did they reach you? I mean where did they find your showcase?
Hexo
Regular
There are a million keys to perfection and they are buried in a million different graves.

Postby gyates329 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:01 pm

I would try using Soundcloud Repost. I think you will get the most bang for your buck on that platform. Soundcloud Repost is one of the only platforms that also offers marketing services as well. Of course the site does have quite a few bots running loose but I am sure there are many people who still use Soundcloud regularly. They also offer playlist pitching to spotify playlist along with a few other neat services. Definitely check it out!
gyates329
New here
George Yates III
Soundcloud | Youtube

Previous