You are here

Free music release?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Moderator: Moderators

Free music release?

Postby Adam Artman » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:45 am

Hello to my all best friends.i hope you be great and health.
my question is about releasing my music.you know I'm starting to upload my music on social medias and websites that sell music.
my question is: if I put my soundtracks on internet,people will pay for it?i was thinking about upload my soundtracks for free until people knows me and my work.but i read on the internet that if you put them for free people may think you are not serious about working on music.
whereas I'm a starter at upload my music i don't know what should i do.
can you give me guide?
thanks
Adam Artman
Regular

Re: Free music release?

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:00 am

Most people starting out in music will be releasing their music for free to start with. You do need to generate a fan base. The tricky part (in terms of keeping fans) is transitioning to paid-for music. You'll certainly loose some followers, but they are the ones who generally wouldn't pay for music anyway. But, you are also likely to pick up more followers who then see you as more professional.

If you are worried about not being taken seriously, there is always the option of changing your name of the name of your act once you switch to charging, to create a clean break But by the time you get to charging you'll either have some label interest, in which case they'll handle things, or you've got your own management and promotional arrangements set-up to let people know what's happening. Either your music will be good enough for people to want to buy it, or it won't. But without promotion of some sort, you won't get many sales, even if it's good.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby jang » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:39 pm

A very similar situation to me. I’ve released a load free on Bandcamp - with generally no listens/downloads. I’ve started putting a price on the newer releases - again with generally no listens/downloads.

My reasoning was if I stick *everything* out there at zero cost I’m basically saying what I do is worthless.

This is perhaps more judgement on the kind of music I make - to be honest I don’t expect to make money or gain listens - releasing material is a way of saying something is finished so I don’t spend years polishing and changing it :-).

It’s a tricky thing to get right - maybe give some away free as a taster to your style might be a starter. If people like it and want to pay for it, then so much the better!

I shall read the other responses to this with interest.....
jang

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:22 pm

Personally I try and use a bit of a combination approach. If I've got a demo, or live recording or something of that ilk, it goes on youtube, soundcloud and facebook. That's just about trying to keep up awareness. Advertising really.
When I've got something more substantial, that I've put some time and effort into, I'll put it on bandcamp. I generally price lower than commercial releases (I'm not a pro) but allow people to pay extra - they frequently do.
But I'll also put single songs on there for free sometimes to keep a bit of momentum going and as a bit of thank you to the people who do buy. I consider that to be just a promotional cost, more advertising in a way, but a bit more targeted.

But my music income is negligible so I wouldn't pay to much attention to what I say! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Adam Artman » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:03 am

Thanks a lot my friends for your best guides like other times.you know maybe it's not important if your job is other thing and music is your free time hobbit but when music is so much serious for you,everything will change and it take so much important.
Adam Artman
Regular

Postby Adam Artman » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:37 am

My other question is about use trailers.can I use a film or video games trailer on my soundtracks before made?
Adam Artman
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:14 am

Adam Artman wrote:My other question is about use trailers.can I use a film or video games trailer on my soundtracks before made?
Not without a licence.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Adam Artman » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:41 am

blinddrew wrote:
Adam Artman wrote:My other question is about use trailers.can I use a film or video games trailer on my soundtracks before made?
Not without a licence.
Thanks.can't i even call below my video "this is not official Hitman video game trailer"?
Adam Artman
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:45 am

If you didn't create the content, you can't* use it, no matter what disclaimer you put on there.

* Unless the content is out of copyright, public domain, or available with an appropriate creative commons licence.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:05 pm

blinddrew wrote:* Unless the content is out of copyright, public domain, or available with an appropriate creative commons licence.

And it can be incredibly difficult to find out for certain that things are indeed out of copyright - sometimes if you can find the original ancient video it's OK, but if later on in its life the rights to this same video were bought out by some company for licensing purposes, you could be in trouble unless you can prove that the version you use predated the licensed version.

It can be a huge minefield!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Adam Artman » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:57 am

thank a lot my best friend like every time.
Adam Artman
Regular