You are here

what does CD Baby for me?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Moderator: Moderators

what does CD Baby for me?

Postby Adam Artman » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:00 am

Hello again to my friends.
-my first question is about CD Baby.what does it for me as video game composer?is it useful?Is it worth?

2- should i use my real name when i want release my music in like CD Baby or can i use my stage name?
Adam Artman
Regular

Re: what does CD Baby for me?

Postby blinddrew » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:09 am

Assuming you're not selling actual CDs...
CDBaby is an aggregator, their main function (for an independent creator) is to get your music onto the big platforms - Spotify, iTunes, Amazon etc.
If you're creating music that you intend to sell directly to the public, then you'll need to use one of these aggregators to get onto the biggest platforms. CDBaby are ok, I've got an account with them and have no complaints. But depending on your output they could get a bit expensive and I'm going to try another provider with my next release.

Video game music is a bit different though, I think you'd be better signing up with a sync agency than an aggregator. I don't know enough about that side of the market to recommend one though.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Adam Artman » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:50 pm

blinddrew wrote:Assuming you're not selling actual CDs...
CDBaby is an aggregator, their main function (for an independent creator) is to get your music onto the big platforms - Spotify, iTunes, Amazon etc.
If you're creating music that you intend to sell directly to the public, then you'll need to use one of these aggregators to get onto the biggest platforms. CDBaby are ok, I've got an account with them and have no complaints. But depending on your output they could get a bit expensive and I'm going to try another provider with my next release.

Video game music is a bit different though, I think you'd be better signing up with a sync agency than an aggregator. I don't know enough about that side of the market to recommend one though.
thank you a lot my dude.
can i license and release my music with my stage name and not with my real name?
Adam Artman
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:15 pm

Absolutely, the only thing you need your real name for is to get paid. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Adam Artman » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:42 am

blinddrew wrote:Absolutely, the only thing you need your real name for is to get paid. ;)
thanks a lot my dude
Adam Artman
Regular