You are here

Software for simple music videos?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Moderator: Moderators

Software for simple music videos?

Postby MaestroDT » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:35 am

I want to put some of my music up on YouTube because it’s much easier (I think, anyway) to get people to like/subscribe there as opposed to SoundCloud or other sites.

The only problem is I don’t have any videos.

I want to make some simple visualizer videos that are synced to the beat of my songs. I guess worst case scenario I could open up a VST plugin of an analyzer or spectrograph and use some software to just record my screen.

I don’t have any experience with video editing software, so have you guys used anything that can accomplish this rather simply?

Alternatively, are there any good plugins that generate really cool visuals?
MaestroDT
Poster
Listen to my music on YouTube or SoundCloud :)

Re: Software for simple music videos?

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:15 am

There are plenty of sites where you can obtain royalty-free video clips of all sorts - including patterns and abstracts.

I use Pexels a lot - and also contribute - but there's also videvo and youtubestock to name but two.

As for editing, many of the DAW programmes have simple video editing as part of the package now and there are also some free video editors around that are decent. If I recall correctly 'blindrew' of this parish has been using one of late. Maybe he'll be along to share - and others with other suggestions.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:48 am

You rang? ;)
If you have a fast, modern computer with a good graphics card you could try DaVinci Resolve. The free version doesn't do 4K video (and a couple of other more advanced things) but is a phenomenally powerful tool capable of fully professional results.
But if your computer isn't up to it it'll run like a dog and crash all the time.
I use a combination of Reaper for the audio side and Shotcut for video. It's free, simple, basic but does everything I need.
Depending on your needs it's also worth looking at Adobe Premiere Elements, if you can find a pricing model that works for you.
But for what you've described, Shotcut should do the job nicely.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:03 pm

Plenty of people just add a simple still image to create a video which is probably less distracting than a random pattern.

I find that Reaper works perfectly well for most of the video editing that I do but I've been so steeped in the audio way of doing things that I've never got on with any standard video editor.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby MaestroDT » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:27 pm

blinddrew wrote:You rang? ;)
If you have a fast, modern computer with a good graphics card you could try DaVinci Resolve. The free version doesn't do 4K video (and a couple of other more advanced things) but is a phenomenally powerful tool capable of fully professional results.
But if your computer isn't up to it it'll run like a dog and crash all the time.
I use a combination of Reaper for the audio side and Shotcut for video. It's free, simple, basic but does everything I need.
Depending on your needs it's also worth looking at Adobe Premiere Elements, if you can find a pricing model that works for you.
But for what you've described, Shotcut should do the job nicely.

I'm looking at Shotcut and I like that it's open source. Really don't want to get into anything by Adobe if I don't have to. Does it have anything built-in that will automatically make "dancing soundbars" (I don't know what else to call them) or movement that syncs to certain frequencies? Or do you have to manually make things move frame by frame? Sorry again I am brand new to this.
MaestroDT
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:36 pm

Nope, not built in. It's a very simple programme. For content like that have a look at the suggestions from Mike above, and maybe add pixabay to that list as well.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby MOF » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:53 pm

Is this selection what you’re looking for?
https://inspirationfeed.com/music-visualizers/
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MaestroDT » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:15 pm

MOF wrote:Is this selection what you’re looking for?
https://inspirationfeed.com/music-visualizers/

Exactly like that... I want it as automated as possible so I spend less time on video and more time on music. I also found http://vizzy.io/ and will be playing around with it later tonight when I'm off work.
MaestroDT
Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:10 pm

Just the other day on Steam I saw a music player which does various graphic effects... don't remember the name, but a lazy search turned out for example https://store.steampowered.com/app/1507 ... Visualize/

Maybe can do some random animation for you.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Nigeln » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:38 am

Hi - I've used Sony Vegas, now called Magix Movie Edit Pro for years - i believe there is a reasonably priced entry level version - we do all our videos with this package - you can see some examples here if you wish

https://www.youtube.com/c/DevineLie/videos

Nigel
Nigeln

Postby FrankF » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:59 am

Nigeln wrote:Hi - I've used Sony Vegas, now called Magix Movie Edit Pro for years - i believe there is a reasonably priced entry level version - we do all our videos with this package - you can see some examples here if you wish

https://www.youtube.com/c/DevineLie/videos" target="phpbbpopup

Nigel

By gad, sir, some excellent videos there!
FrankF
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:45 pm

I was just about to say the same and you beat me to it FrankF!

Hi Nigeln, welcome to the SOS Forums, and congratulations on some fine videos 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:47 am

Nigeln wrote:Hi - I've used Sony Vegas, now called Magix Movie Edit Pro for years - i believe there is a reasonably priced entry level version - we do all our videos with this package - you can see some examples here if you wish
https://www.youtube.com/c/DevineLie/videos
Nigel
I love them videos!

We moved from Premier to Vegas about a year ago and now use the latest whizz-bang Pro version 18 and I am loving it! It's easy to use and it actually works when other software fails!

Someone came to use with footage and asked me to create a live video from all the bits. He said that others had tried and could not get the footage into their software. I thought that was strange but told him we'll give it a go. Only Vegas would accept it - Premier Pro and Resolve were both a case of "Computer says 'No!'"

It was a strange mixture of an unusual file format and had a frame-rate of 20fps!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:03 am

Sometimes, I just wish I could see a person, standing in an ordinary room, with ordinary lighting, wearing ordinary clothes, saying something very important.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:13 am

Ah! You mean another 'Unboxing' video!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next