You are here

Licensing music to a App company - Need advice

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Moderator: Moderators

Licensing music to a App company - Need advice

Postby bobsyour uncle » Mon May 24, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi , i basically have an app company approach me who are developing a ' well being ' app which is centred around music for mediation and relaxation and they want to use some of my music catalogue in the app ( not currently sure how much but probably a 2 albums at least )

I am posting as i dont have an idea on quite how to price this or what kind of arrangement period or contract needs to be drawm up and i am aware that these apps can both make people developing them a lot of money and i do not want to underprice the licensing of my music or at the same time scare them off :)

Does anyone have advice on this ? how i should approach them or what i should be asking roughly per track or album ?
bobsyour uncle
Poster

Re: Licensing music to a App company - Need advice

Postby RichardT » Mon May 24, 2021 1:57 pm

Firstly, congratulations!

I have absolutely no idea how to price this, but if you’re the UK, you can use the Musicians’ Union for advice on contracts. At the moment they seem to be offering a £1 for six months deal.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 24, 2021 3:03 pm

RichardT wrote:At the moment they seem to be offering a £1 for six months deal.

Just for clarity, I presume you mean £1 for six months membership of the MU... rather than £1 for track licensing in an app for six months?! :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby RichardT » Mon May 24, 2021 3:58 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
RichardT wrote:At the moment they seem to be offering a £1 for six months deal.

Just for clarity, I presume you mean £1 for six months membership of the MU... rather than £1 for track licensing in an app for six months?! :D

Absolutely Hugh.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 24, 2021 4:03 pm

:thumbup: ;)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Terrible.dee » Sun May 30, 2021 1:19 pm

Get paid upfront.

I've done work for film and TV, never apps, so I don't know what the going rate is, but DO NOT WORK FOR FREE!!

They are producing this app to make money. It's business. If you act like your music is worthless, that's how it will be regarded.

The back end rate should be whatever the standard is for that genre. Not a penny less.

This should be set by your PRO and have nothing to do with them.

If they can't or won't pay upfront, and make sure you get the standard PRO rate....WALK AWAY!

You are being taken advantage of.
Terrible.dee
Regular

Postby soundproofed bob » Sun May 30, 2021 2:32 pm

Probably it's a good idea to follow current standards? Royalty-free or not. If it's royalty free model, you could ask 25-35$ for each music. Perhaps not much. I assume it's possible to increase this. If it's royalty paid, someone should tell you here how much does it cost, but in theory, much more money over a long period of time, because they are "tiny" but steady income.
Don't base your price only on my response though.
soundproofed bob
Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon May 31, 2021 6:06 pm

Sounds like you are asking the right questions.
I think it’s still a bit of the Wild West in regards to licensing rates for apps.
Sometimes what works is if you ask them what their budget is.
If they have 1 number you can work out how many tracks you can license for that.
Do they want exclusive use?
Limited time frame or in perpetuity?
Will they have the right to use the same music for their other apps or is the agreement for the use of this one app?
Will they use your track(s) for promotional purposes of the app?
I don’t think royalties are paid for music used for apps.

They want an easy hassle-free agreement. You need to find a way to be compensated fairly while protecting yourself and keeping them happy.
Maybe there is something more creative you can bring to the table. I was thinking that even meditators might like the music to change up now and then Perhaps propose an option of rotating your track usage, or if they seem open and are willing to pay more - custom tracks. They obviously like your music vibe.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster