You are here

Different types of License

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Moderator: Moderators

Different types of License

Postby Stickman0_3 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:30 am

OK, so I've only heard of Exclusive and Non-Exclusive licenses. I was browsing SyncR's website recently and came across a listing with a Perpetual license? What is that exactly?
Stickman0_3
Regular

Re: Different types of License

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:07 pm

A perpetual license is one that never expires, although that doesn't necessarily mean you get free upgrades to the product. There are no fixed rules but usually a perpetual license means you get free updates until the next major version (or sometimes two).
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:32 pm

Or, if it's the other way round, you are handing over your rights forever.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Stickman0_3 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:26 pm

OK, blinddrew, does it mean that I can no longer use the music I hand over, or can I still use the music for other purposes?
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:33 pm

That will depend on the exclusivity side of the contract. If it's perpetual and exclusive then the most extreme case is you're signing it over permanently and without any right to keep using it yourself. The exact details of what you can still do with it personally and non-commercially may vary according to the precise wording of the contract, but basically you're saying 'I will no longer make any money from this piece of work'.
If it's perpetual and non-exclusive then you're signing those rights over permanently but you can still do other stuff with it. Again, the precise details of that 'other stuff' will depend on the specifics of that contract.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...