You are here

Mac RAM experts - I want to upgrade an early 2011 MBP to 32G

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mac RAM experts - I want to upgrade an early 2011 MBP to 32G

Postby Kevin Nolan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:36 pm

Any Mac RAM experts available?

I have an early 2011 MBP - Quad iCore 7 2.33HGz and have max RAM of 2x8GB - 16GB

I've been waiting for years for Crucial to release 16GB DIMMS for it but they won't because Apple say it's not supported. However- they do have this DIMM which looks very similar - and I wonder if anyone can comment (non binding :-) ) - on whether these would work. They're quite similar to the 8GB crucial DIMMs I have installed except double the capacity, faster and CL=11 on this one instead of CL=9 on my existing ones (don't know what that means).

Info on this across the web is thin in the ground - but one comment from a buyer on Amazon indicated that this 16GB DIMM works perfectly in mid-2012 MBP's - and while someone claimed they won't work on early 2011 iCore5's; someone else chimed on that there's a specific difference between the early 2011 icore5's and 7's and that if this DIMM works on a mid-2012 iCore7 the it will work on early 2011 iCore7's (what I own)

So I feel it's worth a punt and will likely buy it ( can surely recoup some of the money on ebay if it doesn't work) - but am wondering if anyone here is expert in this and can comment?

Would be grateful to keep this technically specific to this topic and not to widen to a general conversation on Macs and RAM.

Here's the spec for the (2x) 8GB RAM from Crucial installed successfully in my MAC:

http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/macbook-pr ... /CT3373672

Here's the link to the (2x) 16GB RAM that a Mac seller works in a mid 2012 MBP and which I may take a punt on:

http://eu.crucial.com/ProductDisplay?ur ... reId=10152

I suppose I'm looking for anyone who can say - definitively - that it won't work!

Thanks!
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Re: Mac RAM experts - I want to upgrade an early 2011 MBP to 32G

Postby desmond » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:50 pm

I'm fairly sure it won't work.

These machines have an official Apple support spec of 2x4GB, but as we all know, many machines are capable of supporting higher than the official spec, and these machines unofficially support 2x8GB, which you are running (as am I, in a similar spec, late-2011 machine).

You can put 2x16GB in there, but the motherboard doesn't support it, and you get weird effects - I don't remember specifics, but some year ago when I was monitoring this whole "you can put more ram in these machines" thing, people were trying and reporting on their results - ranging from non-booting machines, to weird amounts of ram being used, to corruption, to slow downs and other fun stuff.

It's not really the ram chips or chip slots as such, it's the motherboard, architecture and controller addressing that defines how much ram will work, particularly on earlier machines. 2x16GB is *still* not a supported config on current MBP's, five years later...

So, I can't categorically say it won't work, but I'm reasonably sure that it won't work as you'd like, and sure enough to say "I wouldn't bother trying" - but if you are going to try, let us know how you get on...

Edit: I can't find a single reference of anyone successfully installing 32Gb in any Macbook Pro.
*Everything* I've found says 16GB is the maximum any MBP can support, which is my experience also.

Here's a list of all the *actual* working max ram amounts for all MBPs:
https://everymac.com/actual-maximum-mac-ram/actual-maximum-macbook-pro-ram-capacity.html
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Kevin Nolan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 pm

Thanks Desmond - fully appreciate your comments, and tend to agree with you frankly.

I just bought a 2TB SSD (tiny samsung thing) for £700 (bloody amazing) - so it'll be a few weeks before I take the plunge - but i think I will go for the RAM and find out once and for all.

If it doesn't work I'll surely recoup at least half of the money back on ebay

I'm looking to start building bigger sample library based Logic templates - so even if the Mac runs with this RAM in it, it will likely take a while to even determine whether I'm getting a 32GB advantage (or not).

Will indeed let you know how it goes. The mid-2012 computer seller who put these in said they worked like a dream - so what the heck - worth a try for a few hundred quid (and might save me having to fork out for a new 32GB MBP whenever they are out). Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby trunkdog » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:07 am

Please keep us posted on the results.
trunkdog
Poster
Thx - td

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:37 am

Hi Kevin,
16gb is a very respectable amount of memory and still the maximum you can specify on the latest MBP model.

Adding extra memory only improves performance if you don't have enough in the first place.
IIRC 20 years ago (intel P200mmx) it was considered more than 64Mb would actually slow the system as it used more system recources just refreshing the memory!

With your SSD already installed I would guess that unless you were running some very heavy duty projects even if 32G worked you might not notice any performance improvement.

I love the 2011 MBP as it has Thunderbolt and FW, but its getting a bit long in the tooth.
The intel graphics share the main memory - this may also have an impact on what memory is compatible.

With a mac of that age I would be loath to spent too much money on it.
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby G-Doubleyou » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:13 am

The mobile version of the i7 CPU, supports 16GB RAM.

That's what I have in mine.

:thumbup:
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster
G-Dub Studio G-fx 2011 15inch 2.0GHz quad-core i7 Macbook Pro, LPX 10.3.2
2.3 GHz quad-core i7 Mini

Postby Kevin Nolan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:38 am

Thanks for the recommendations and cautionary notes - I do appreciate them and hear you - earnestly

... but then you know what we're like - squeeze ever possible morsel out of our equipment so I'm going to ignore your cautionary advice (at my own expense!) and see how it goes :-)

(fully expecting you to be right - I assure you).

Worth testing out - but as said to Desmond - I expect you'll all be right !

As said - it'll be up to 6 weeks before I make the purchase - but as soon as I install the RAM I'll let you know how it (didn't) go :-)

Thanks!
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby G-Doubleyou » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:07 pm

16 GB is the max, 27 inch iMacs use the desktop version of the i7, it supports up to 64GB.

You can find your model MBP and CPU model and check the specs at intel.com
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macb ... okpro.html

do research don't guess.

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

Postby Kevin Nolan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:22 pm

Thanks G-Doubleyou I'll check that out

(by the way - posting here was part of doing research and no guessing! )

;)
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby Kevin Nolan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:28 pm

G-Doubleyou - the problem here is - it says that Mid-2012 iCore7 has a 16GB RAM Limit - but I've read an online confirmation of a Mid-2012 iCore7 successfully supporting 32GB and I quote "running like a dream".

So we may well be dealing with a case of what companies are willing to "officially support" as distinct to what's actually possible.

I've personally come across a dozen examples of this through my computer career. Nothing there to suggest it won't work. Still worth a punt - if it doesn't work I'll loose about 50 - 100 Euro when reselling the RAM.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:03 pm

CL is the latency to access data, CL (either in time or, for modern dram, in ticks); 11 is slower than 9. Modern Intel chips have the memory controller integrated and not on the mb, but there may be bandwidth expectations or access voltage differences which mightcause trouble.. it might depend on the specific dram chips. Worth a shot but would keep my expectations low - which you are indeed doing..
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby desmond » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:51 pm

Kevin Nolan wrote:G-Doubleyou - the problem here is - it says that Mid-2012 iCore7 has a 16GB RAM Limit - but I've read an online confirmation of a Mid-2012 iCore7 successfully supporting 32GB and I quote "running like a dream".

Can you provide a link to this?

Because I've seen *many* people interested in running 32GB in a MBP, with *nobody* successfully doing it. Your mention of one guy who's doing this is the *only* report I've heard of (well, third-hand of course), which makes it uncorroborated and therefore dubious, so I'd like to see the source of this to help make a more informed opinion.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:34 pm

It doesn't seem sensible to start another thread so what are the benefits of swapping the 4GB of RAM in my newly acquired 2012 Macbook Pro 13" up to 16GB? I was considering doing the upgrade to my 2011 MBP until I discovered that the issues I was having, which I had thought might be memory, were most likely logic board related.

I don't run multiple virtual instruments or convolution reverbs in fact it is mostly used for general 'office' computing (browsing, Open Office, email etc.), some stereo editing using Reaper and occasional location recording.

It has a 1TB SSD installed (pulled from the ailing 2011 machine which means I have, effectively, my old MPB back and running apart from the odd email client issue) and I don't mind spending the £120ish to upgrade if i'll see a useful improvement in general usage but if I'll gain nothing I'll leave it well alone.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby desmond » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:40 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:It doesn't seem sensible to start another thread so what are the benefits of swapping the 4GB of RAM in my newly acquired 2012 Macbook Pro 13" up to 16GB?

I regard 8GB as the practical minimum for running recent versions of OSX (say, from Mavericks on up).

On a 4GB ram machine, you are basically hitting the swap file once the computer has loaded and you load any application, and performance suffers. I verified this on a second machine when a fried also purchased a MBP (2012-ish) that came with 4GB ram - performance was very poor as soon as you tried anything heavy (like running a large app like Logic, FCP, etc) and moving to 8Gb was much better, as there was now a bit of breathing space for stuff to work in.

So, for a general purpose MBP, I recommend 8GB as a practical minimum for general use, and 16GB for heavy use.

Do with that what you will! ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:56 pm

Thanks Desmond, that's the kind of advice I was hoping for. It is a 'general use' machine (for several hours every day) so anything that speeds it up is going to be welcome. I'll probably go and visit Scan for 16GB of RAM in the next couple of weeks (and, probably a pair of B Stock AKG K702s if they have them soon afterwards, the Neumann KH120s will have to wait a couple of months but who knows what us new pensioners can afford........ :D)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Tuseth » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:53 am

I have a 2012 Macbookpro with 8GB of ram and im always running Mermory Clean 2 constantly to clean up and compress the ram i use to get the most of my 8 always have to render my samples and effects or i use it all up with big projects infact i my self was thinking about upping to 16GB of ram too necessary to able work without having to constantly commit from midi to audio always rendering its a B°tch :p
hehe might try n put new fans in too my mac heats up waay too much also :(
Tuseth
Poster
Tuseth

Postby G-Doubleyou » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:48 pm

The FIRST MBP to support 32GB RAM was released in 2017.
https://www.cultofmac.com/462777/new-ma ... rive-year/

The earlier mobile i7 could only address 16GB RAM.
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

Postby G-Doubleyou » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:45 am

Tuseth wrote:I have a 2012 Macbookpro with 8GB of ram and im always running Mermory Clean 2 constantly to clean up and compress the ram i use to get the most of my 8 always have to render my samples and effects or i use it all up with big projects infact i my self was thinking about upping to 16GB of ram too necessary to able work without having to constantly commit from midi to audio always rendering its a B°tch :p
hehe might try n put new fans in too my mac heats up waay too much also :(

There are a lot of variables, RAM, hard drive speed and free space, CPU power.

If you have lots of RAM and fast hard drives your half way there,
Give us more info on your MBP.

:?:
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:48 am

G-Doubleyou wrote:The FIRST MBP to support 32GB RAM was released in 2017.
https://www.cultofmac.com/462777/new-ma ... rive-year/

?!

You seem to have confused an unfounded rumour piece as actual news. No such rumoured laptop was released. The current 2017 (Kaby Lake) MBP does not support 32GB of [desktop class] RAM - Apple specifically said the reason was the power requirements were too great for the MBP at this time.

No Apple laptops support 32GB at this time, including the latest and most expensive model.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby G-Doubleyou » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:58 am

Correct it was a rumor, but hopefully will come true soon.
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

Next