You are here

32" Monitor for Mac ?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

32" Monitor for Mac ?

Postby Gone To Lunch » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:35 am

I see that there are cheap 32" monitors from Samsung, LG, Hanns, Dell etc, typically around £200 - £300

Will they work with a mid 2010 Mac Pro running OS X 10.11.6 ?

I have tried looking up their specs, but there is never any mention of mac compatability.
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Re: 32" Monitor for Mac ?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:19 am

I shouldn't worry about statements of Mac compatibility. What you need to do is compare the specs of your Mac and the screens you're interested in. So, will your Mac handle the maximum resolution and refresh rates required by the screen. Does the screen have an input that matches an output on your Mac? If these are both OK then you're unlikely to hit problems.

Of course you always look through Amazon reviews for the screen. People will quite often say in their review what sort of machine they're using it with.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby nathanscribe » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:53 am

Is this the model you have?

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP589?view ... cale=en_GB

Screen specs listed part way down.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Agharta » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:45 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Is this the model you have?
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP589?view ... cale=en_GB
Screen specs listed part way down.

If so then no 4K for you unless you change the GPU as it seems as if the GPUs use an older version of DisplayPort.
Agharta
Frequent Poster

Postby Gone To Lunch » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:38 am

Hi Agharta

I don't understand your comment :

"If so then no 4K for you unless you change the GPU as it seems as if the GPUs use an older version of DisplayPort."

Is the 4K the screen ?

According to EveryMac, my Mac Pro is an MC250LL/A* - MacPro5,1 - A1289 - 2314-2*

and according to my system profiler it has

"ATI Radeon HD 5770 with ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory, PCI Express 2.0, two Mini DisplayPort outputs, and one dual-link DVI port"

and according to EveryMac

"By default, one ATI Radeon HD 5770 video card is installed and this default video card is capable of supporting three displays -- digital resolutions up to 2560x1600 and analog resolutions up to 2048x1536."

So presumably If that matches the spec of the screen, and an appropriate adapter is available, it would work ?
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:12 am

Yes.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Agharta » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:32 am

Gone To Lunch wrote:Hi Agharta

I don't understand your comment :

"If so then no 4K for you unless you change the GPU as it seems as if the GPUs use an older version of DisplayPort."

Is the 4K the screen ?

"By default, one ATI Radeon HD 5770 video card is installed and this default video card is capable of supporting three displays -- digital resolutions up to 2560x1600 and analog resolutions up to 2048x1536."

4K is 3840x2160 hence my comment.
It's getting more common to see 4K at 32" but there are plenty of 2560x1440 32" screens and far fewer 2560x1600 both of which are fine for your graphics card.
I wouldn't want 4K on a 32" anyway.
Agharta
Frequent Poster

Postby Blott » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:09 pm

I have a Dell UP3216Q 32" display connected to my Mac Pro 4.1 (flashed to 5.1).
It's a fantastic display and is powered my an Nvidea GTX680 2GB PC graphics card which I purchased for around £100 and flashed with the Mac ROM (to give the option of Mac Boot screen via HDMI).
It makes a HUGE (excuse the pun) difference to my workflow.
My previous display was the Apple 27" Cinema Display which was very good, but I have to say I much prefer the Dell.
It has more viewing positions, an SD card reader, 4 USB ports and the option to split the screen and allow simultaneous viewing of two different inputs on the one display.
It also feeds the audio of a HDMI source to its headphone socket, which I use to get the audio from Apple TV connected via HDMI through my studio system.

I agree with Agharta when he say's he wouldn't want 4k on a 32" display, because it can make things very small and difficult to read, but the difference in useable screen space...WOW! :)

TBH though I don't have great eye sight so mostly use it with the Apple display resolution of 2560 x 1440 - the difference being I get the same amount of screen space as with the Apple display, but everything is larger and easier to read. :)

I do use the native resolution of 3840 x 2160 when using Logic because it displays so much more info (see images).

It helps too that most of Logic's plugin windows can now be resized to a large enough size to be easily viewed at higher resolutions.

For those 3rd party plugins that don't increase the UI size I use the 'zoom' feature built into Mac OS itself as a workaround, but the higher resolution , particularly when mixing is a God send.

On a day to day basis though for web browsing & email etc I use the 2560 x 1440 setting.

There's a fantastic little app you can get called SwitchResX that can automate the screen resolution switching on a per app basis which I'd highly recommend for this way of working.

If you'd like to get 4k resolution you'll need to upgrade your graphics card, but your ATI 5770 should be fine if your happy with slightly lower resolution and nice, big, easy to read graphics. :)
Blott
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/blottuk
http://blottuk.bandcamp.com

Postby Gone To Lunch » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 pm

Thanks Blott

That was helpful.

I definitely want just bigger and more space, as you describe.

And also thanks to everyone else for all the helpful advice.
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster