You are here

Transfer or reinstall?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Transfer or reinstall?

Postby rACed2 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:34 am

I have new Mac on its way :beamup: and I am wondering whether to attempt migration from the old Mac of Logic, Omnisphere, Kontact, Sibelius, Huaptwerk, Pianoteq etc etc or go for a complete reinstall. Anyone got any advice one way or the other?
rACed2
Regular
Organ, synth’s x2 Not enough time or talent.

Re: Transfer or reinstall?

Postby ore_terra » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:53 am

is your current machine running slow? do you "clean it" often? if answers are no and yes I'd just migrate it.

if you have it full of crap though, you'll be happy after a fresh install :mrgreen:

the pain in the ass is recalling all licenses and passwords (I always forget to write them down and I have to dig in my inbox for them)
ore_terra
Regular

Postby Dave Rowles » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:42 am

When I get a new computer I go fresh. I see it as a chance to discover what I actually use and what I don't. As I only get a new compe every 6 years or so, it's not too bad an thing to spend a day coping stuff across in the old fashioned way!

However, if you've got loads and loads of licences to transfer, or lots of data you want to keep hold of, then a migrate might be the best way.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster

http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp

Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby rACed2 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback - one thing I seem to recall hearing is that migration is very slow can anyone comment on that?
rACed2
Regular
Organ, synth’s x2 Not enough time or talent.

Postby Blott » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi,
I've migrated a few Macs in the past.
I don't think it's especially slow.
The biggest factor affecting time is the amount of data you're copying over.
Obviously migrating 2TB of data for example takes a lot longer than a 1TB migration.
Many music apps still have to be re-authorised, so you'll likely have to still dig out those serial numbers, but it's certainly a lot easier than doing it from fresh.
I've recently just added a new SSD to my Mac Pro and opted for a fresh installation which was largely hassle free apart from Omnisphere which had to be manually installed.
So as one of your apps is Omnisphere I'd be tempted to go with migration rather than a fresh installation, just to avoid the Omnisphere headache.
Good luck! :)
Blott
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/blottuk
http://blottuk.bandcamp.com