You are here

Help please, no audio getting to DAW.

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Help please, no audio getting to DAW.

Postby Aptorian » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with my mac receiving audio that seems to have started when I installed Mainstage last year. Since then Mainstage has been the only program that has been able to receive audio from any external interface, this has been true with my audient id14, Dante Virtual Soundcard and an A & H SQ6 so I'm fairly certain it's within the Mac,

The audient iD control app shows that the interface is receiving audio and I can route it within the interface to the speakers or headphones but none of the programs on my mac have been able to see an incoming signal with the exception of Mainstage which sees it with no issues. I've deleted Mainstage with no improvement.

Has anyone else had this issue or have any idea how to fix it?

Thanks.
Aptorian
Poster

Re: Help please, no audio getting to DAW.

Postby MOF » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:32 am

Have you checked your “audio preferences”?
MOF
Regular

Postby Aptorian » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:43 pm

All the preferences are as they should be and the input device, I/O and anything else is all set to be the device I want to use it's just not showing up in the software. This happens in both Pro Tools and Guitar Rig. MainStage has been the only piece of software able to receive audio input since I installed it so I think it has to do with that.

Audio output is unaffected.
Aptorian
Poster

Postby MOF » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:04 pm

Have you checked the audio preferences in both the DAW and System's audio preferences?
MOF
Regular

Postby desmond » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:02 pm

I've never heard of an audio device on the Mac that shows up to OSX but that only works in one app.

Audio devices in OSX are system devices, so as long as they are installed and working correctly, they should be available to all software running on the system.

Installing Mainstage, or any other app, will have no affect on audio devices or the system audio, so that application itself isn't the issue.

It's difficult to know what's happening on your system. I'd start troubleshooting by simplifying.

Note that the system audio preferences (which device the system receives/sends audio to) are usually independent of individual applications' settings (although you can usually specific individual apps to send to the "system" settings as well). If you do want the general system audio to use the audio interface, you'll need to choose it in the main system audio preferences. Note that you can only choose one device for input, and one for output, in general.

I'm not clear on which programs, other than Mainstage, you are talking about, but check what audio device you have set in their audio settings. I'm assuming you're not using aggregate devices as these can change the order of I/O and can confuse you as to which inputs/outputs are routed where. Some applications may have additional in-app settings you need to make to choose/map inputs and outputs to work as well.

Basically, if the audio interfaces work in Mainstage, then they are working in the system, so I'd be looking firstly at the audio settings for those other apps for the routing problem. You can always screenshot their audio settings, (and let us know which apps you're talking about), and also screenshot your Audio/MIDI Setup audio page as well, and we might be able to see what's going on...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Aptorian » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:11 am

I agree with everything that's been said and I also don't understand why this is an issue. As I said in the OP when using the Audient interface the levels show up in the control App and I'm able to route them within the interface to the outputs. I'm not using any aggregate devices.

The device shows up in the apps (eg. I can set the playback engine in pro tools to be Audient iD14 and set the IO to be analogue 1 and 2 but no actual audio reaches the tracks. Audio is present in the Audient app however.
Aptorian
Poster

Postby cyrano.mac » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:21 am

Are you on Mojave?

If so, you need to authorise each audio program to receive audio input in System preferences/Security & privacy.
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby Aptorian » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:42 pm

Problem solved, I probably updated my OS at the same time as installing MainStage and didn't know about that issue, it's never happened to me in the past.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Aptorian
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:21 pm

:clap: :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby desmond » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:32 pm

Aptorian wrote:Problem solved, I probably updated my OS at the same time as installing MainStage and didn't know about that issue, it's never happened to me in the past.

Just to clarify - this was a permissions thing with Mojave?

Once you said "yes, this device is ok to use for audio", it's working Ok now?

OSX is getting increasingly locked down, security wise, to stop malicious code doing damage - it's even more pronounced in the forthcoming version, Catalina.

We are going to get asked for permissions for more and more things on your systems...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Aptorian » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:23 pm

Yes, it was in the security settings as was mentioned earlier and I just had to give the apps I wanted to use it permission to receive audio (it was actually shown as permission to use the microphone but that seems to include external AIs). I'm guessing when you install the software it prompts you to do that as part of the installation but if the software is on there prior to the OS update then you have to do it manually.
Aptorian
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:08 pm

Think I'll bookmark this thread, sounds like the sort of issue I'll run into sometime. Thanks for bringing it up.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby desmond » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Great, thanks for the clarification - will come in handy for others encountering the same issue in the future! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster