You are here

Upgrading hard drives in my Mac Pro 5,1.

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Upgrading hard drives in my Mac Pro 5,1.

Postby Gone To Lunch » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:35 pm

I am using OS 10.14.6

I need to upgrade my internal HD drives, and I want to know whose are best - I am told Western Digital ?

If so, what are the differences between blue, black and gold, which is also the ascending price order?

I cant afford SSD, and I also read that conventional WD hard drives are actually more reliable?
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Re: Upgrading hard drives in my Mac Pro 5,1.

Postby Trevor Johnson » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:38 pm

WD gold are 'Enterprise' drives designed for servers, you don't need them
WD black are high performance desktop drives, with a 5 year warranty
WD blue are still 7200 RPM, like black, but slower at data transfer, with a 2 year warranty

I use WD black and have done for years, but they are expensive.
The WD blue are very good drives.

All HDDs and SSDs may fail, and you can debate for whether HGST/Toshiba/WD/Seagate are more reliable. Backblaze provide interesting facts about HDDs used in their server pods
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaz ... s-q1-2021/
but remember they are using these in servers not on the desktop.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:28 am

Definitely buy an SSD for your system drive, it'll make the computer feel much faster, a 1TB WD SSD costs about £80 so about £50 more than a WD Blue but you could go for a smaller SSD and a couple of data drives?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BigRedX » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:02 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Definitely buy an SSD for your system drive, it'll make the computer feel much faster, a 1TB WD SSD costs about £80 so about £50 more than a WD Blue but you could go for a smaller SSD and a couple of data drives?

This!

I have relatively tiny 250GB SSDs in both my Mac Pros which are reserved just for the OS and applications. All my data lives on 4TB Hard drives. IME changing the system drive to an SSD is one of the biggest performance upgrades you can give a Mac like this.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Kwackman » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:04 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Definitely buy an SSD for your system drive, it'll make the computer feel much faster
BigRedX wrote: IME changing the system drive to an SSD is one of the biggest performance upgrades you can give a Mac like this.

+1. One of the best upgrades I ever did on my 5.1
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:18 pm

I did the same. I let the SSD hang loose in the empty bay above the CD player. Or is it below? Anyway the cables are there. In 2 machines the SSDs have never disconnected.
So I have 1 SSD in the machine and 4 WD black HDs (2Tb). One of my WD is a clone of the Boot drive for just in case moments. Might be a waste of the drive space, until the SSD goes down in the middle of something important.

All drives fail.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:56 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:All drives fail.
I might just add that to my list of potential album titles...
;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Gone To Lunch » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:43 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Definitely buy an SSD for your system drive, it'll make the computer feel much faster, a 1TB WD SSD costs about £80 so about £50 more than a WD Blue but you could go for a smaller SSD and a couple of data drives?

Thanks!

I will look into this further; I didn't realise how much prices have fallen since I last looked.

Do I need to budget for adaptors to fit them in my 3.5 old-skool SATA drive bays?
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Postby Kwackman » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:59 pm

Gone To Lunch wrote:Do I need to budget for adaptors to fit them in my 3.5 old-skool SATA drive bays?
Yes, at least I needed them for the SSD I bought.
They're around £10-15
I got this one , but there are probably many others out there.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby forumuser842162 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:07 pm

one of the most expandable/configurable/affordable Macs to be had;
I advise you read http://blog.greggant.com/posts/2018/05/ ... guide.html if you're considering SSD - it gives good advice re blades / drive upgrades / compatibility etc
sata/ssd works fine and much cheaper than blades ... and negates the need for TRIM ...
Ive recently 'upgraded' from WD blue to SSD - only noticeable difference is startup time ... I used the spare. CD bay which left 4 drive bays for other blues; 48gb RAM or more makes a bigger difference as does turning off all unnecessary system bloaters and avoiding using the system disk for any data whatsoever (docs/downloads/emails, etc etc); this also means you can reduce the size/cost of the ssd but make sure it is still twice the memory requirements of the OS/applications
re plugin/sound/sample libraries - bunging them all onto a separate HDD optimises demands placed on the SSD/OS disk - currently I use a MacPro 1,1 via ethernet and viewable via screen share
only downside to WD Black are price for negligible benefit and increased fan noise
forumuser842162