You are here

Logic and Mac FAQ threads......

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Logic and Mac FAQ threads......

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:46 pm

Ashley Check your PM's

Max
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Mostly Retired from Audio.... If I already know you I'll help,  if not....    Ask Hugh Robjohns, unless that is you're in need of 80's shred guitar... that, I'm still interested in having fun with...

Postby Panda » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:13 am

What exactly is altivec and what type of processors have it?
What is it that makes G5 processors better/faster than G4's?
Panda
Poster

Postby samus » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:40 pm

I am new mac user and a new Logic 7 user as well. I am also having trouble with the communication between logic and reason. I was able to rewire reason with logic and get the audio of reason to play with my audio files in logic. But, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to record the audio from reason into Logic. Someone, please help me.
samus

Postby LimitedHeadroom » Sat May 07, 2005 1:49 pm

Ooops, just pressed the wrong button and gave this thread a rating of one, it needs much more. Any way the question I was trying to put is:

Im a new mac user, In OS X is there a setting or preference you can make so that everytime you double click on a disk or folder it opens up in columns (or whaterver view is your preference) Also I second any questions about apple loops in Logic 7
LimitedHeadroom
Regular

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:37 pm

yes.

your finder preferences...

in desktop finder, select the preferences menu from the Finder menu
(Finder>preferences)

Under the general tab, you can set what a new finder window command actually opens at (computer, documents, home, or any mounted drive etc)

and whether to always open folders in a new window, and/or open in column view , as well as the time delay in spring loaded opening.

Labels Tab allows you to choose label colours and names,

The sidebar tab allows you to define what is displayed in the left hand side bar of a finder window... which drives and special folders etc...

Advanced tab defines extension display , and search languages, and whether there are warnings before you empty the trash.

Max
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Mostly Retired from Audio.... If I already know you I'll help,  if not....    Ask Hugh Robjohns, unless that is you're in need of 80's shred guitar... that, I'm still interested in having fun with...

Re: Logic and Mac FAQ threads...... Logic equivalent of playlists?

Postby HVR Recordings » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:34 am

Hey, am hoping its okay to to post this question here?...

I cant for the life of me work out how to use whatever Logic's equivalent of Pro Tools' "playlists" function is (where multiple takes can be stored on the same track in the arrange window) i have scanned the manual, the pdf help & even the Apple Logic Pro training book. There must be a way, yeh?

Even with replace mode enabled i couldnt work out how to record over previous "takes" without either the previous take being audible on playback OR having to manually delete them completely!

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks
HVR Recordings

Postby Colonel Sandars » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:17 pm

Hi Max,

Don't know if you've got anywhere with your FAQ s
ite but I need some help. I'm still trying to get the following setup working:

Motu 896 (the old one) + latest MOTU drivers
Logic express
Max OSX (panther)
G4 Powerbook

I've set the preferences up so that Logic talks to MOTU but made no progress in actually recording. I plug my guitar into the Motu and firewire the motu into the Mac but it won't record anything I play. However I can play back itunes through the motu and if I change the settings I can record on logic through the powerbook's microphone...

Any suggestions or do you know of a beginner's guide to setting up?

Cheers

Timbo
:headbang:
Colonel Sandars

Re: Logic and Mac FAQ threads...... Logic equivalent of playlists?

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:14 am

Seratonin.
logic does not work in the same way as protools.

It can sort of be worked around though..... but not quite in the way you describe.

Colnel sanders.

What kind of guitar?? As I recall, the 896 Mk1 does not have appropriate inputs for electric guitars (which have an output level not all that dissimilar to Microphones) so both the impedance , and nominal levels are way off the mark, and you would have such a low signal level you may not see it... never mind hear it... using an appropriate DI box (with high impedance input) and running this into an input switched to Mic rather than line should rectify this if that is the problem.
failing that, you also need to check and see which inputs are numbered what on the 896 Firewire drivers, in case you have the ADAT port inputs swapped with the Analogue inputs.

I'll try and get full replies out tomorrow, as today is the Wife's birthday, and I'm not supposed to be here :frown:

Max
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Merlin » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:27 pm

This probably has been discussed before often, but searching the forum didn’t help me so your help is appreciated.

Although OS X has been my main platform for everything non music related my music was always made on an OS 9 machine. I’m going X and will be upgrading some main software and plugs (for instance Logic 6 plat to 7 pro and Kontakt 1.x.to 2).

I would like to know if it’s possible to open saved (OS 9) vst plug in-settings (presets) in the OS X/ Audio Unit version of the ‘same’ plug.

Also: when I’ve made an arrangement in OS 9 (logic plat 6) and will open it in Pro 7 in X, assuming I have all the X audio unit versions of the vst plugs I used in the OS 9 environment, will my song play back as before (are the settings stored and opened correctly)?

Is there any other upgrading issue I should be aware of (apart from removing the XS key upon installation of Logic :-) )?

Thanks!

Merlin.
Merlin

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:44 pm

Copy your entire OS9 Logic folder to the new machine, this will include all the fx settings and so on, as well as your songs (assuming you have them in there)

obviously you also need all the audio files and samples as well.

this ensures you have at least got the data to work with...

Logic's own plug ins are generally not a problem, but there are more hiccups with other plug ins... as long as you have the OS 9 Settings files, it's usually possible to grab them...

the other thing to remember is that Everything you have will need to be converted from ASIO or Direct IO to Core audio., or , if I recall correctly, in your case, form 1 PT rig and TDM implementation to a new one...

this is a bit of a faff, but more often than not , fairly straight forward.

I do have to say though., that logic's "update environment" option rarely works quite as you'd expect... it's one of the most infuriatingly inconsistent buggers out there...

It depends how much material you're going to want to bring over to the new system, But i'm afraid I'd expect to have to spend a day or maybe a few, if there's lots, going through the material and ensuring it all works right.... best to do that than find out in front of a client that something didn't work....
\
there's also a gizmo called "logic preset converter.app " that is intended to assist in converting os9 settings into OS X formats.... sometimes it's necessary, sometimes not.... I don't think it exists in logic 7, but I have it for Logic 6, if you can;t find it and may need it, give me a shout...

Hope this not entirely cheerful reply is of use.

Max
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Merlin » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:31 pm

Max The Mac wrote:Hope this not entirely cheerful reply is of use.

Max

It definitely is of use and appreciated!

(Off Topic:) And you've remembered correctly about PT. But since recently ...no more PT for me. I noticed it just stood there and I was doing more and more native so I made the decision to sell PT and invest in new/more native power. I don't work for clients (well at least not in a way they come with PT sessions), so I'm really happy I've made a decision based on my workflow instead of on what had become more or less a status symbol in my computer. :-)

Merlin.
Merlin

Postby Hammer » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:35 pm

hi,

i've got a couple of answers for you:

4 - my G3 using os9.2 recognises wav files when using cubase 5.1

5 - i have a pc monitor, which i connect to my 7600 via an adaptor which you should be able to get form any store which knows their stuff. i think the new macs all use pc type monitor connections anyway so you should be ok but again ask a dealer first...

hope that helps.

hammer
Hammer

Waves 5 initializing as AU in Logic Pro 6 - help

Postby Ashley2005 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:40 pm

Hi,

I'm using the Waves 5 plugins in Logic Pro6 on my OSX 10.3.8 Mac

When I start up Logic, the plugins take over 10 minutes to initialize, and then Logic to open

I know it's the Waves plugins which are taking so long because I removed them from the components folder, ran Logic, and it took a minute if that to open

I'm running the latest 5.0 version of Waves diamond bundle. I have contacted Waves support, but haven't had any reply, so I thought I'd post here as you guys/gals know a lot about Logic and thought it may be a Logic issue also

Please can you help me

Cheers :)

Ashley
Ashley2005

Postby E D » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:00 pm

It kind of is a logic issue. Generally logic takes a long time to do anything! In 6, the AU manager was not yet introduced, and every time you run logic it scans and initalises all your components. The more you have, the longer it takes. Logic 7 helped this with it's cache-ing system where essentially, it does the load once (the first time you run logic with new plugins installed), then remembers it so that the next time you load logic, all it does is (to the effect of:) "oh yeah, I remember these plug-ins, let them in!"

Solution: upgrade to logic 7.1. But bare in mind the downsides to doing this.

On another note: Max, is the compiled FAQ finished yet?
E D
Regular

Postby sionic » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:25 pm

yorkio wrote:How do I rewire Logic to Reason?
What's the best way of programming drums in Logic?
How do I use my hardware synths with Logic?

i'm with yorkio, i'd bare my bum in woolworths window for the rewire info!
sionic

PreviousNext