You are here

Logic and Mac FAQ threads......

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Logic and Mac FAQ threads......

Postby Merlin » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:31 pm

Max The Mac wrote:Hope this not entirely cheerful reply is of use.

Max

It definitely is of use and appreciated!

(Off Topic:) And you've remembered correctly about PT. But since recently ...no more PT for me. I noticed it just stood there and I was doing more and more native so I made the decision to sell PT and invest in new/more native power. I don't work for clients (well at least not in a way they come with PT sessions), so I'm really happy I've made a decision based on my workflow instead of on what had become more or less a status symbol in my computer. :-)

Merlin.
Merlin

Postby Hammer » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:35 pm

hi,

i've got a couple of answers for you:

4 - my G3 using os9.2 recognises wav files when using cubase 5.1

5 - i have a pc monitor, which i connect to my 7600 via an adaptor which you should be able to get form any store which knows their stuff. i think the new macs all use pc type monitor connections anyway so you should be ok but again ask a dealer first...

hope that helps.

hammer
Hammer

Waves 5 initializing as AU in Logic Pro 6 - help

Postby Ashley2005 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:40 pm

Hi,

I'm using the Waves 5 plugins in Logic Pro6 on my OSX 10.3.8 Mac

When I start up Logic, the plugins take over 10 minutes to initialize, and then Logic to open

I know it's the Waves plugins which are taking so long because I removed them from the components folder, ran Logic, and it took a minute if that to open

I'm running the latest 5.0 version of Waves diamond bundle. I have contacted Waves support, but haven't had any reply, so I thought I'd post here as you guys/gals know a lot about Logic and thought it may be a Logic issue also

Please can you help me

Cheers :)

Ashley
Ashley2005

Postby E D » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:00 pm

It kind of is a logic issue. Generally logic takes a long time to do anything! In 6, the AU manager was not yet introduced, and every time you run logic it scans and initalises all your components. The more you have, the longer it takes. Logic 7 helped this with it's cache-ing system where essentially, it does the load once (the first time you run logic with new plugins installed), then remembers it so that the next time you load logic, all it does is (to the effect of:) "oh yeah, I remember these plug-ins, let them in!"

Solution: upgrade to logic 7.1. But bare in mind the downsides to doing this.

On another note: Max, is the compiled FAQ finished yet?
E D
Regular

Postby sionic » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:25 pm

yorkio wrote:How do I rewire Logic to Reason?
What's the best way of programming drums in Logic?
How do I use my hardware synths with Logic?

i'm with yorkio, i'd bare my bum in woolworths window for the rewire info!
sionic

Postby Gaz » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:20 am

Max, I am happy to say that I have finally managed to afford the change to the darkside, and bought my first Mac. I have little previous Mac knowledge, and am the perfect candidate for a FAQ.

I am pretty good on Windows OS, and the same goes for Logic 5, so I'm hoping I should grasp the changes.........at some stage.

For my money some good questions to answer in a FAQ revolve around optimizing OSX for audio, how to decrease resource hogging non-audio parts of the OS, should I uninstall garageband before installing Logic Pro?. (Nice one for the toasty XS key advice).

Part of using a PC for audio effectively means stripping out everything possible which is not audio-related to increase performance. Maybe this is not as necessary in Macland?

Lastly, I got a 2Gig Macbook with 1 gig RAM, has anyone any performance info for this spec set-up?

Hope you don;t think this is lot of waffle as I'm starting to wonder myself!!!

Thanks guys
Gaz

Postby Gaz » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:29 am

P.S. I nearly forgot one of the most important, should I enable my Mac for automatic updates or not?

I definitely finished now!!
Gaz

Postby Rabid » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:43 pm

Here's another question for the FAQ.

How can I convert my collection of Acid loops to work in Logic?
Rabid
New here

Postby forumuser729356 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:20 pm

Surely the first FAQ will be:
I want to buy a Mac - what are the best options for A type User, B Type User and C type user

(BTW - that is my question)
forumuser729356
Regular

Postby siontrefor86 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:45 pm

Hey, how goes?
Just converted to Mac + Logic, so apologies if this all seems a bit obvious! But my band recorded a demo recently, I asked for the data files so I could have do some mixing, editting etc. They're .omf, which Logic "knows" but won't open because they're song files - any ways of getting around this so I can do some mixing? They won't convert when I drag them into the arrange window, nor will they open when I open them from inside Logic. Can't get back home to the manuals for a good while - so any help much appreciated!
Cheers!
siontrefor86

Postby The Dan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:14 am

Good day!

I've got one for you. I'm just starting out on a mac and DAW's in general and read in my M-Box/Pro-tools instructions that I : - 'Shouldn't save music files on system archives and a new archive should be created for music', so being a total unabashed noob a couple of questions popped into my confused little head .

1) Does this mean I should partition my drive and is 'partitioning' the same as creating a new archive? I have been a PC user for a little while so partitioning is sort of familiar to me.
2) What should I keep in the audio section of my hard drive? Just music files or Sequencers, sample libraries, plug-ins and all the other crap too?

I intend to mainly use my mac for music but I want to get into Carbon and C-sound as well. So I guess on the audio side, 200 gigs should cover it.

Thanks for your time!
The Dan
New here

Postby bezdevil » Tue May 22, 2007 8:24 pm

hey, just converted to mac and im having a few n00b troubles

1) How do i install and use other AU/Vst plugins in logic express. I installed the programs as per normal and i have .component files and a few .vst for the vsts, but i cant get them to appear in logic. The main program im trying to get working is EZ drummer DKH.

2) Similarly, i have extra inserts and fx plugins, again, in the right folders and installed but not appearing

Cheers
bezdevil

Postby monosyllabic » Tue May 22, 2007 10:11 pm

VSTs don't work in Logic. Logic is an AU host only.

Audio Units (.component) need to be installed in Library/Audio/Plug-ins

If plug-ins aren't appearing you can get Logic to rescan through the preferences menu. Logic should scan new plug-ins at every startup. If it's not finding them you may need to reinstall some of the Logic librarys.

SJ.
monosyllabic
Poster

Postby brian c. » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:09 pm

hi
i'm running a dual 2ghz mac g5 (4years old) with logic 7.2.I want to link it to a windows machine so they both sync within a song within logic-running the audio through the analog inputs on my motu 828 mk 2.Is this possible with a timecode generator ? having the logic mixer recieving the windows inputs into the mix and would it be possible to record the inputs as a audio file in logic?!!!!!! :crazy:
brian c.

Postby EXTRAKT LIVE » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:31 am

1) how to install plugins in logic pro 8?

2) how to convert vst to AU?

3) how to rewire it with live ableton?

Thank you
EXTRAKT LIVE

Postby Neil C » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:04 am

EXTRAKT LIVE wrote:1)

2) how to convert vst to AU?

Thank you

You can get vst to au converters like this:
http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=5&tab=22

But they only work if you have, in the case of a mactel, a UB version of your VST - in which case there's very probably a straight AU version of it anyway.
There is no way of converting a Windows vst to an au.
Neil C
Regular

Postby Jüsme » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:01 pm

helloooo

hey has been a whiley since i last was in, but i have discovered something a bit weird going on in logic 8 and am not sure what to do about it, but its doing my head in a bit now :-Z

goes something like this;

I have created a couple of instruments for a track using the ESX24 sampler and when i open logic, the instrument looses the link to the audio files being used, even though I previously saved the instrument with settings. My audio files are located in the "audio" folder under the same host folder as my project, so Im presuming they should be found automatically.

The only way Ive found so far to resolve it, is to open the esx and re-load the instrument settings that I saved, and then re-point each part of the instrument to the corresponding audio files.

Does anyone know how I could resolve the problem or is this a possible bug?

ta in advance

Ju

02/04 Radio SugaThomp! @ www.nubreaks.com
04/04 Liquid Dragon @ Tiggars, Exeter
11/04 CLUB SugaThomp! @ The Hub, Exeter
Jüsme
New here

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:24 pm

they're in the wrong place..... the audio folder is intended for the audio tracks recorded..... the EXS24 instrument referencing the audio samples , and ideally the audio sample files themselves, , or a shortcut to them, should be should be in the ESX instruments sample library folder

mac HD>Library>Application Support>Logic>Sampler instruments.

is probably best....
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Jüsme » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:40 pm

will try it tomoz and see how i get on.

ta
Jüsme
New here

Postby Jüsme » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:46 am

hiya max

just to let you know I re-saved my project with the esx files in the sampler instrument folder as you advised and its working fine now. thanks! :thumbup:

Ive managed to unearth another problem now though hehe...

ive hooked up my juno 106 to the mac (1/4 jack from the "phones" port to line-in), then mac mic out to amp. Am trying to nail a decent bassline out of the juno, thought I could fire up logic and play my audio Ive already got recorded, then record the audio from the keyboard at the same time, only snag is when i play a section on the juno, i hear two instances of it :-S i dont think its latency as it would only play once...??

if anyone has any ideas, they'd be very gratefully recieved

Ju
Jüsme
New here

PreviousNext