You are here

Logic and Mac FAQ threads......

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Logic and Mac FAQ threads......

Postby DaleSmith » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:54 pm

Hey. I searched the forum and wasn't able to find help with my problem.

Picture the scene. I have Logic 8. In a session I have an acoustic guitar. 3 tracks. 2 close mic's and a room mic. all 3 are at different levels ( as you might expect ). All 3 tracks are in a group. Now as the song gets going, the acoustic needs to come down a bit, so, I draw some automation on one of the tracks, expecting the others to follow up and down by the same amount, as they are grouped, but what happens is, they all jump to the same level as the automated track. this happens as soon as I draw in the automation. Surly I don't have to un-group the tracks and write each automation separately? ( he asks hopefully!!! )

many thanks if you could help.
DaleSmith
Regular

Postby desmond » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:36 pm

Yeah, grouping doesn't work like this. When three channels are grouped, you can write automation to all three tracks by using one fader. But each of the track tracks have independent automation - ie editing the automation in one track doesn't affect the automation in the other tracks (though automation updates with the fader will drag the others as well, and write their automation, providing they are in one of the automation write modes.)

The best way to achieve what you want is to send the three guitar channels to an aux, and then to the main outputs, and automate that aux for level changes. This also lets you put plugins on the bus to affect all the tracks that make up the guitar part if desired.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby DaleSmith » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:57 pm

Desmond. Many thanks for the reply. I won't waste any more time trying that then.. haha.. ok, here's another one.

I've just read in the Logic 8 manual that you can apply digidesign audiosuite plugins destructively in soundtrack pro2. The audio opens in Soundtrack fine, and the regular plugins are all listed, but i can't find the audiosuite plugins anywhere!! I looked on the apple discussion board but couldn't find a definitive answer. ( even tho quite a few people seem to be asking the same question )

Thanks again

Dale
DaleSmith
Regular

Postby desmond » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:45 pm

DaleSmith wrote:I've just read in the Logic 8 manual that you can apply digidesign audiosuite plugins destructively in soundtrack pro2. The audio opens in Soundtrack fine, and the regular plugins are all listed, but i can't find the audiosuite plugins anywhere!!

Where in the manual?

There is no mention of the word "Audiosuite" in the Soundtrack manuals, so it seems unlikely.

The only references to Audiosuite plugins in the Logic manual say that you can process audio using audiosuite plugins in the sample editor. This refers to Logic's inbuilt sample editor, *not* Soundtrack Pro, which is a completely separate application.

So it seems unlikely STP supports audiosuite plugins at all.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby DaleSmith » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:22 am

sorry for confusion.

The reference to Audiosuite is in the Logic manual, not the STP manual. I tried the STP approach after seeing someone else on this message board say it was possible. I did originally start with Logic sample editor, but couldn't work out how to apply audiosuite, hence I started looking for other options.

How would you go about applying audiosuite in Logic sample editor? as the only mention on page 518 LP8 manual doesn't really help and i've never used audiosuite outside Pro Tools before..

Many thanks again for your time.
DaleSmith
Regular

Postby desmond » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:02 am

Using AudioSuite Plug-ins

The Sample Editor allows the use of AudioSuite plug-ins. These plug-ins work destructively—the result of the editing process is written into the audio file.

Note: AudioSuite plug-ins can only be used with hardware addressed by the DAE (Digidesign Audio Engine). Any properly installed AudioSuite plug-in will be displayed in the AudioSuite menu.

Are you running Logic under DAE with Digi hardware, or are you running under Core Audio? You need to be running under DAE before any available audiosuite plugins show up.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby DaleSmith » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:47 pm

desmond wrote:Using AudioSuite Plug-ins

The Sample Editor allows the use of AudioSuite plug-ins. These plug-ins work destructively—the result of the editing process is written into the audio file.

Note: AudioSuite plug-ins can only be used with hardware addressed by the DAE (Digidesign Audio Engine). Any properly installed AudioSuite plug-in will be displayed in the AudioSuite menu.

Are you running Logic under DAE with Digi hardware, or are you running under Core Audio? You need to be running under DAE before any available audiosuite plugins show up.

im running under Core Audio!! Many thanks for that. I have Pro Tools M audio on my Mac with an M-audio Fast Track Pro. I wouldn't have worked it out myself. I'll have a tinker tomorrow.

Thanks again ..

Dale
DaleSmith
Regular

Postby desmond » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:27 pm

DaleSmith wrote:im running under Core Audio!! Many thanks for that. I have Pro Tools M audio on my Mac with an M-audio Fast Track Pro. I wouldn't have worked it out myself. I'll have a tinker tomorrow.

Pro Tools M-Powered is not Pro Tools, it's a cut down native only version that works with regular audio interfaces. The full ProTools, powered by hardware, works under DAE. This is the mixing engine underneath Pro Tools.

You cannot use AudioSuite plugins in Logic with your version of ProTools M-Powered, as far as I'm aware (I'm not a PT user).
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby DaleSmith » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:15 pm

desmond wrote:
DaleSmith wrote:im running under Core Audio!! Many thanks for that. I have Pro Tools M audio on my Mac with an M-audio Fast Track Pro. I wouldn't have worked it out myself. I'll have a tinker tomorrow.

Pro Tools M-Powered is not Pro Tools, it's a cut down native only version that works with regular audio interfaces. The full ProTools, powered by hardware, works under DAE. This is the mixing engine underneath Pro Tools.

You cannot use AudioSuite plugins in Logic with your version of ProTools M-Powered, as far as I'm aware (I'm not a PT user).

thanks for that mate. would have still been banging my head against the screen now...

regards

Dale
DaleSmith
Regular

Postby Chris No.1 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:25 pm

1). What speed of CPU is recommended as a minimum? (Duo-Core at least of course...2ghz? 2.1? 2.4?

2). Minimum Amount of RAM for using Logic (>insert other DAWS here<) as well as a dual boot with XP or Vista.

3). How do I install my VSTs on a mac?
4). If I run all my sessions etc on a external hard drive will it run smoothly or can I easily run everything off the built in one?

5). "Im a MAC noob and mine just arrived today, what essentials should I download immmediately to save me time and stress later? I will be using Logic 8 and PT"

there's 5 FAQ?
Chris No.1
Regular

Postby RemoHead » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:19 pm

Hi guys, hope this is the right place for this question!

its dumb but its been bugging me forever!

is there any way of adding my own channel strip icons to Logic Studio 8? im sick of constantly looking at the bog standard kick and snare icons and noticed a while ago in a youtube video someone had some custom icons but i can't figure out how to do it!

Hope you can help me!

Chris
RemoHead
Regular

Studio Engineer & Session Drummer
www.thedenstudios.com
www.chris-drums.com

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:46 pm

Yes.

Page 196 in the main Logic manual, under the heading "Creating Your Own Icons" documents the procedure.

RemoHead wrote:its dumb but its been bugging me forever!

Forever? It didn't occur to you to open the PDF manual, type "icon" in the search field, and click on the first result? Took me all of 12 seconds... considerably less than "forever"... ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Maestro_T » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:19 pm

I think it's great that this FAQ has been place here, but I have a 'biased' suggestion. :blush:

I'm still not that OK with Logic, so along with the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), can I suggest a different FAQ? (Frequently Answered Questions) :lol:

Not trying to be awkward, but this set of good questions doesn't have any answers. :beamup:

If I'm wrong, (and I am quite often) please point me to the aswers section.....

T
Maestro_T
Regular

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:25 pm

a fair point ;)

many of these have been answered in other threads.... and i have been somewhat lacking in my diligence in collating such things.... time is the enemy of many things... including sorting this lot out....

Desmond deserves a whole bunch of medals for his tireless and rapid answering of many things..... ;)
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby ZeuZ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:00 pm

Not a question, more general advise ... I've downloaded "QuicKeys" for mac, which automates universal keyboard commands on OSX, so every five minutes I've programmed it to autosave for logic to save me the hassle.

There's probably an easier way to do this?
ZeuZ
Regular

Postby desmond » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:18 pm

ZeuZ wrote:Not a question, more general advise ... I've downloaded "QuicKeys" for mac, which automates universal keyboard commands on OSX, so every five minutes I've programmed it to autosave for logic to save me the hassle.

I would never ever do this, nor recommend anyone else do this.

I want to save when I want to save. I do not want the computer randomly overwriting my project in the middle of me doing stuff - that's crazy - and a surefire way to losing something important.

There is no substitute for a good command-S habit.

Except now Apple think it's users aren't even able to do that, and just take the function away.

Progress, I guess. Two steps forward, one step backward...

However I do use Quickeys for some other things, as well as Applescripts and other cool little tools...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby rACed2 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:15 am

Without wishing to upset anyone does this thread still need to be sticky?
rACed2
Regular
Organ, synth’s x2 Not enough time or talent.

Previous